Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Winter Rest

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Default Winter Rest

A winter rest??? What does this term mean? How can a new grower identify orchid plants that require a 'winter rest’?

OrchidTalk members are asked to submit lists of orchid plants that fall into this category. Please list your plants by name and genus when possible rather than simply listing the genus. Also give advice on where and how you supply a 'winter rest' to the orchid plants you list. Include details about water, temperature, fertilizer, etc if possible.

Cheers!
    BD

My Grow Area
    On a Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    laelia
    Member's Country Flag

Well, I am a little lost in cyberspace here. But I will proceed anyway, even though BD's comment is dated 15 months ago.

My Coelogyne cristata supposedly needs a winter rest. This means it needs to be in a cool, dry, but bright location, and given only enough water to keep the bulbs from shriveling, during the winter months. This is because it comes from Southeast Asia or in that region where the winter is like that -- dry, cool, bright -- as opposed to the summer monsoon.

I believe my Cuitlauzina pendula needs the same, and I am going to try giving this treatment to my Dendrobium nobile hybrid. Again, I read and have been told that this is the way to get these to make blooms.

On the Central California coast, I had these plants outside, in shelter but with bright indirect light, all summer, and brought them in 6 weeks or so ago. Now they get bright eastern light, some southern light, cool in-house temps (drafty old house), and I will start the little-or-no water routine on the first day of winter. Will report back.

btw, some professional growers have told me they don't "rest" any of their orchids, so -- it's an experiment for me right now.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Orchids that grow for me
    Member's Country Flag

My question is a bit along the lines of this thread. One of my orchid, funny enough a Cooelogyne cristata, looked very dry in the greenhouse so I rinced it through with some warm water yesterday morning. Today is cold it being winter here, but the temperature in the greenhouse is around 10deg. The potting bark is still looking rather wet, so would it be a good idea if I bought it inside where it is warmer to day out a bit as I do not want it to rot. Thanks.

It seems to me that this thread is almost dead.
    In my view, Dendrobium speciosum and (almost) all it's cultivars needs a winter rest. In my view this means a temperature of not more than 1o degrees (C), only a little watering, not more than once a week to prevend shrivelling of the bulbs, lots of light.

BTW. Bruce, It seems to me that you are 'THE' Vip of this board, as almost any threat I have gazed at hs you as moderator. First I thought this is too much work for one person, so I wish you Good Luck with this board.
    Regards,
    Sicco

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda

i have a dendrobium kingianum. i only got it last spring, in full amazingly scented bloom. i grow it outdoors, with a bunch of other orchids, and most i do water less in colder weather (i'm basically frost free here in southern california) than in warmer weather. but this kingianum apparently needs a month and a half of NO water in order to set flower spikes. i already have a couple of keikis growing, and from what i hear, you might only get keikis instead of flowers if you give it a wet winter. so for winter i have now moved it to the inside of the balcony, out of the rain (when we finally get some anyway) so i can keep an eye on it. this is my first dendrobium, so it is a bit of an experiment. it is going to get brighter light this winter than the rest of the year so far. it seems to be liking it.

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

I don't cater to any individual plant - it either likes my culture, or doesn't. And since I don't stop feeding or watering over winter, I don't have such plants. However...

Folks who grow in "traditional culture" tend to withhold all water over the winter rest. Folks who grow those self-centered plants in S/H, can do the same - OR - water normally, but use NO FERTILIZER during the dormancy period.

Looking at it from a scientific standpoint, the plants that need a "dry winter rest" grow in an area that has a very distinct dry period. As the lack of moisture means there are no dissolved ions to take up (i.e., natural fertilizer), so it really isn't the lack of water the plants require, it's a lack of the growth stimulus brought about by nitrogen.

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

I have a Den. aggregatum that is supposed to have a winters rest. I'm getting ready to set it somewhere so I will quit watering it when our temps finally drop at night.