Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Water Softeners - Potassium vs sodium chloride salt.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Pleurothallis, Cirrhopetalum

Default Water Softeners - Potassium vs sodium chloride salt.

Does anyone know anything about using potassium chloride salt instead of sodium chloride salt in water softeners? Will potassium ions affect the orchids similar to the way sodium ions do?

Yes i think it will,think that is
    i install evaporitive coolers alot in the desert and we cant hook any type of soft water system to them.I called a rep from a softener company our plumbing dept uses to ask if its ok to purge into the tree wells and onto the grass from a softener useing potassium chloride and he didnt suggest it cause over time it will biuld up and cause problems.hope that helps a bit
    jason

here is a bit more hope it helps hey also search posts there is one more on here that asks thew same question you do id put in a link but i dont know how to yet!
    jason
    Water Quality Answers
    Can potassium chloride regenerant wastes from a water softener be used for irrigating lawns?

It is true that living plants take up and utilize potassium, whereas plants cannot use sodium. However, there is far more potassium in softener KCl brines than plants or grasses can normally use. Potassium that is not taken up by plants is held in the soil by clay and organic matter. Excessive build up of either potassium or sodium in the root zone of plants can inhibit plant growth.

It is possible however to collect the KCl regenerate wastes from a water softener in a third tank, dilute it with non-softened water and apply it to well established lawns. The Water Quality Association recommends, in such cases, a minimum dilution of 75 parts of non-treated water with each one part of regenerant waste water. We also advise that grass clippings be removed at each mowing, and that the lawn be irrigated with non-treated water at least once between each application of diluted softener regenerate waste water.

Ornamental plants and fruits and vegetables are often more sensitive to dissolved salts than turf grass, so a dilution of at least 200:1 is advisable if KCl regenerant waste water is used in areas where these types of plants are growing.

My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Pleurothallis, Cirrhopetalum

The regeneration "brine" goes out into a dry well or some place. The potassium and sodium ions I'm concerned about are in the softened water. Sodium I know is bad over 10 - 25 ppm depending on genus/species, but what about the affect of the potassium ion in the softened water on plant growth ... specifically orchids?

The only thing i can suggest is to wash out the pots with clean non softened water once a month.when the guys installed it did they give you a hard water source also or are all the outside faucets soft water also?the brine goes into the septic or sewer,the drain!I think if you didnt leach out the pots the salts will build up and cause root damage.You might want to buy a reverse osmosis filter system for the plants its a bit expensive at first but its great for the plants,to drink,and to clean things with belive it or not.I will ask the rep that we get our softeners from and let you know about the potassium

Real Name
    Jenny
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts, paphs
    Member's Country Flag

I have a whole house water filter that uses potassium pellets instead of sodium. We installed it to battle the high amounts of chlorine that was driving us crazy (smelled strong, turned us red, tasted bad, etc.).

I water most of my 40 or so orchids with this water, and have for years. I do flush the pots often and I water my mounted plants with distilled water. I don't seem to be having trouble, new growth and blooming plants here.

For whatever that's worth. I'm sure this isn't ideal, but I've been making due.

MtEquine