Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny Pet Tales

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

My handsome black 13-yr-old, Tom, wakes me up most mornings to go out. He hops up on the nightstand and paws at whatever till I wake up. We're talking 4:30-5:30, unless he's already out, in which case he sits in the flower box against the window by my pillow and then knocks on the screen.

I'm used to it, and have no trouble hearing him, sleeping walking to let him in or out, and then stumbling back to sleep for a while.

Well last week I'd driven 3 times to NH and back and 2 times to Maine and back. I'd driven close to 1,500 miles in under a week. And needless to say I was pooped. I never heard Tom on the nightstand. He's not used to me sleeping through his wakeup call, but he's smart and resourceful.

He started tapping my nose with his paw. That would have been fine, but his front claws are a bit overgrown, and one got stuck in the side of my nose when he pulled his paw back.

Now that really got my attention. I awoke from a dead sleep with a scream!

Poor kitty - he didn't mean anything bad and I scared the crap out of him. Of course I had a hole in my nose oozing blood for some time.

It was a memorable wake up call.

McJulie

Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

OOOOWWWW! man claw in the nose is the worst. Keester (name well deserved) used to push me off my pillow AFTER I'd gone to sleep. He'd knead my hair softly and purr in my ear (aka sucker me) and after I fell asleep he'd gently knead/push my head right off the pillow so he could have it. Didn't know I'd been had until the next morning.

Real Name
    Cin
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Yikes, Aaron glad that the glass is all gone and that kitties and humans are safe.
    McJulie, ouch a claw in the nose hurts, been there done that!!!! Good to hear that all is well.
    Cin

Real Name
    Aaron
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Schomburgkia/Mymecophila
    Member's Country Flag

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Julie!

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Well, at least we all know how to awaken Julie if we ever stay over at her place.....

My cat grew up as a show cat, and I never knew her as a kitten. She came to me when she was 3 and no longer being shown or bred. After a couple of months she was well settled in, and having come from a home with 30 cats (an active breeder) she was getting really happy with the one on one relationship ship (in other words, spoiled). She had never been THE center of attention, and had never been allowed to snuggle up with her humans because there was too much competition. She was quick to learn that she was welcome to sleep on my bed with me. I would take a few minutes each night to scratch her ears, rub her chin and rub her belly right as I got into bed.

Well, one night at about 10 pm she got up from her kitty bed in the family room and headed out into the hallway. I figured she was going to bed upstairs as 10 is my start the bedtime process time on work nights. A few minutes later she reappeared in the doorway and meowed. Now Daffy has a very tiny meow, sometimes she opens her mouth and no sound at all comes out. So it's kind of like a kitten mewwing. Very compelling... I asked what she wanted and she mewwed again and walked away from the door. I figured that either her food bowl or water bowl in the downstairs bathroom must be empty. So I got up and went in there to find everything fine. Daffy mewing all the time. I went back and sat down. A minute later she appears in the door again, mews and walks away. Mews again. Mews again. I get up to see what the noise is about. She sees me and trots a few paces, stops and mews again. Like an idiot, I follow her, thinking she wants to show me some little creature she's bravely captured. No - she runs up about 4 steps of the stairs, stops and mews again. I follow. Up she goes, repeating the whole scenario until we are in the master bedroom. There she hops up on the bed, kneeds my pillow, mews and then waits. I'd been herded into my own bedroom!

Now if I am up later than she thinks I should be she will start the same performance over again. Usually I decide she is right. If I don't come up when she asks, when I do go to bed she refuses to be petted, and later I wake up with a cat butt in my face!

Real Name
    Cin
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Oh dear Diane, You were easy to train.LOL
    Con

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

LOL, Diane, that is so cute. Pus, the blue cat we have, is now 13 years old. We adopted her when she was just about 3. (We got her from the pound.) Anyway, she has taken to saying 'goodnight' each night. Once I get into bed, she will let about five minutes pass and then she will hop up onto the center of my chest with her face just a few inches from my face and start 'talking'. LOUDLY. And-- she has a rough sounding mew as well. I will rub her head and scratch her ears being careful not to pet her on her back as this causes her to stand up and turn around and that is when I get the dreaded cat butt in the face. LOL.

After about five minutes, she will quiet down a bit and just purrrr as she nub-rubs around my neck. Finally she will just go to sleep. Then, I suppose as I start to go to sleep, I must startle her. (I apparently twitch rather brutally as my body relaxes...thus the moniker, brutal_dreamer) And, just to be sure I know that I have pissed her off, she leaps right up into the air and jumps down off of the bed. It is such a shock, it wakes me right up!

So, now, when I go to bed, I put a thin pillow on my chest so that she performs her nightly ritual on it and when she leaps down later, it is not so shocking. Sometimes I can even slide her off of my chest without waking her up and she will sleep on the pillow until it is time for her to do whatever it is cats do in the middle of the night.

Cheers!
    BD

Real Name
    Lynda
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phals, paphs, oncs
    Member's Country Flag

Amazing how we mold ourselved around THEIR likes and dislikes and not the other way around! LOL! Such cute kitty tales you guys. I do think that the stuff we are willing to put up with from our pets says something about us--although I'm not sure WHAT.

If we raised kids the way we raise our cats and dogs--boy would they be little monsters! LOL

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Taco View Post
    Oh dear Diane, You were easy to train.LOL
    Con

And my boss is forever telling me that I'm untrainable... LOL!

From many, many, MANY moons ago.

I'm a dog person. It didn't seem unusual to me to have a 120 lb Malamute in a one bedroom apt. And when I brought home a 70 lb Akita mutt stray my wife of 18 months said "Maarrrk." and rolled her eyes in disgust. Luckily she hadn't yet learned how much control she had over me, so I got to keep the new stray. Just to prove a point, Frances (my wife) brought home a stray black cat three days later. I'm a dog person.

It didn't take Crow (the cat) very long to set the ground rules for the dogs, about 30 minutes, and she only had to bloody the Akita's nose once. Within a month the three played and slept together, and when I took the dogs walking in the field or along the river, the Crow would come along making quite a parade of it. I'm a dog person. This is a strange cat.

Fast forward a year to when a friend asked us if we would look after her boxer while she vacationed in Germany for a week. Her dog and our pets got along fine so we said OK. Only a few hours into the boxer's stay Crow went after it like a demon from hell. Our dogs saw the outburst, figured Crow had a good reason so they went after the poor beast, too, and together cornered it behind the TV. Frances and I could calm the situation only by putting Crow in our bedroom cause our cat wanted a piece of that dog something fierce . When my wife wondered why the cat became so agressive, I explained the cat's pretty far along in pregnancy. Her hormones must be making her crazy. Frances rolled her eyes again.

Later that night crow climbed up on my chest while I slept. She had never done that before. She started purring deeper and more resonantly than I had ever felt a cat purr. It was so deep and soft it was almost forcing me into a shroud of sleep. As I drifted away I thought maybe cats do have unique qualities that make them worth keeping when three ounces of squirming kitten in a slimy sack slid across my chest and into my arm pit. OH MY GAWDDDD!!! I mentally screeched . And Crow purred on. I elbowed my wife awake. "Your cat is having a litter on my chest." The bed shook with her silent laughter. Crow had found the safest place in the pack to give birth. There was something so warm and rewarding about the event that I couldn't move her. I felt special. The purring Crow and ploping new borns lulled me back to sleep. They were welcome to their safe place until one of the kittens tried to feed on the wrong nipple.

I'm a dog person.