Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: New growth on phal - ????

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default New growth on phal - ????

I have been growing phals for 2-3 years now and have never had one put out a growth through the crown area like this. It almost looks like it is starting to have little leaves on the end. Could this be some sort of keiki production???

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Oh, dear! I am afraid you have what is often known as 'The keiki of death'. These come up through the crown, hopefully fully develop the keiki, and then the mother plant dies. I've had one do that. I was able to keep the keiki and it is doing well, though not blooming yet. Others have had plants live on successfully even with this growth.

Just let nature take it's course, that's all you can do. Post a picture in a couple of weeks.

What would happen if it were removed? Would/could the mother plant return to making normal leaves at the crown???

Yikes! I don't think so, but I'll let others opine. I think once a keiki or spike comes up through the crown the mother plant's a gonner.

Diane's right though - see what it does on its own. Definitely grow out the keiki.

McJulie

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums.Odonts and alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Im with you on this one McJulie.

From what I have seen and heard ,When this happens just keep your fingers crossed that the keiki keeps growing.

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

so.. basically because these plants are monopodial, ie they generally keep growing from the top or the crown, once that growth area is distrubed, eg with a keiki, there really isn't a way for it to keep growing from the top...

so.. has anyone tried to make plants send off a shoot from the side? eg using keiki paste on the side of the plant???

That's pretty much it, Tim.

I've seen this happen with flower spikes out the top, but not keikis. But to Phals, the growth that produces a spike, can often produce a long spike that doesn't flower, but instead grows keikis at its tip.

I mention that because some Phals are keiki factories and some aren't. I'm thinking if the mother plant is now threatened because of the crown keiki, in its slow demise, it may produce more keikis - either basal off the lower monopodial "trunk", or produce side some spikes with keikis.

That might give you a few more plantlets, Mayres, before mom croaks. Mind you, they'll have an identical genetic makeup, which could just do the same thing when they grow up, but who knows?

Please keep this thread updated, regardless of what happens - it's a great learning opportunity. And sorry about your plant!

McJulie

Okay - once I have something significant visually different I will post an update - like you say, learning experience.....
    As many of our plants do, this plant has emotional significance so am hoping to keep it alive.

I have a phal that sent out the flower spike straight through the crown,flowered and produced a keiki on a lower node.its still alive about a couple years (approx)now the keiki on the spike through the crown just got done blooming.in the mean time it has another keiki from the side of the plant.I know the first keiki should of been potted up a while ago but it looks cool up in the air above the plant.
    jason