Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aclimating Acquisitions

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Aclimating Acquisitions

I have lost a lot of growth (and nearly the whole plant in some cases) on new plants I bring home from a green house. Can I get some guidance on how to aclimate new plants to the home? The advice I saw on bringing in plants for the winter got me thinking about this.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mystacidium
    Member's Country Flag

What kind of plants are you having troubles with? Usually it shouldnt be a big deal...

Mark
    The only thing i can suggest is to try to buy plants grown in or able to be grown in your inviroment.I think its normal to loose buds due to temp and humidity change(among other things)thats why i buy the plants out of bloom or not in spike cause it pisses me off if i loose buds,its sad,a bummer,you get what im saying!!But to loose growth that dont sound normal.Ive had new growth stall in an enviroment change or even in sudden temp change but not die.Ive also watered and not blowin enough air at the plant and rotted new growth,that angers me also!!Maybe check culture for the plant possibly your not prvideing something.Just a few thoughts!!
    jason

Trouble with three different types of plant: Psychopsis , Zygopetalum and Miltonopsis. The problem may boil down to my learning curve on watering an unfamiliar plant, that and I'm a lucky grower, not a particularly knowledgeable(sp?) one. I may be vasilating between over care and under care. It's just that I got a shipment of new plants yesterday and I am spending more on awarded plants than I did when I bought what ever looked pretty from grocery and bigbox stores. So now when I screw-up I am kicking myself in the wallet as well as the but.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Well, I can help with the Psychopsis, I have many of them. Water well then allow mixture to dry out before watering again. Water a little more frequently when a bud is opening. Bright light, decent humidity. Mine all grow inside under lights with some natural light through a window. I also grow paphs, phals, phrags, catts in the same environment. I've killed 2 zygos so I don't go there anymore. And I don't do Milts. But there are people on the forum who do, so I am sure you will get more input.

Which Psychopsis did you get?

Diane, psychopsis Mendenahall 'Hildos'. You gave me advice on it a couple months ago in the "psychopsis emergency" thread . I did divide it. I have only watered them with a mister since and give them the occasional misting with a 1/8th strength 20-20-20 solution. The leaves have wrinkled a little, but not dramatically. I haven't had the courage to lift the rhizome clips to check root progress. If I have blessings of the CHID DIETIES, how long should the roots be now?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Hmm... did it have any roots? I don't remember exactly what was the condition. Figure 1 - 2 " new root growth if it is happy. Since the leaves have started to wrinkle, I would take the plunge and check the roots.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mystacidium
    Member's Country Flag

Try to increase your air circulation if things are rotting. If there are fungus or molds spreading, get a copper sulfate and put it all over. For now, you could hydrogen peroxide the old rotted areas and the medium.

SoS, I think I just over watered now I may be under watering the psychopsis.

Diane, there is no visible root growth, but the smaller division is putting out a new shoot and the larger division's newest pbulb is round, glossy and turgid. I don't know what to think about this plant.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mystacidium
    Member's Country Flag

I do a monthly HO2 flush on my Pyschopsis and Onc splendidum. Since pyp dont like to have their roots messed with, this keeps the medium lasting a little longer in there. Onc splendidum just doesnt like water so thats what it gets instead. You guys know phalaenathe dendrobiums produced 5% HO2 naturally? 3% is good newx to them!