Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Paph. sanderianum

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Not a yellow picotee but a very tiny yellow band around the leaf. Leaves are very smooth too.

Another test is to break a leaf in half. If there are some fibers on the cut, it is not a sanderianum. sanderianum is possibly the most faked orchid plant. I will try to post a picture of mines.

For delenatii dünkel some have a magenta margin some do not. All of the original plants are very hard to grow. They have been collected 10 years ago but they are terribly slow growers.

Many paphiopedilum plants seedlings are misidentified. Growers travel around the world and buy plants here and there. They buy a lot from the Netherlands and Taiwan, and resell the plants. Both places are not reliable to trust them without flowering the plants.

Mine does have the tiny yellow band around the leaves. The cross is ('Wanakee Warrior' x 'Jungle Monarch') and there is no way in hell that I am breaking a leaf! I will just be patient, thank you, veeerrrry very patient!

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Louis, I actually scrolled up and saw the original post. If you have a Z number on the tag, you might be able to find out if this is the legitimate offering. I doubt OZ will help you, since I heard they're being real @$$holes lately about looking up cross data, but a while back, John @ Parkside was telling me which Z number(s) to *avoid* (I forgot it already because I wasn't planning on getting any sandies anytime soon).

Unfortunately, if these are the OZ sanderianum Deep Pockets x Jacob's Ladder, these are Prince Edward of York ( and not good ones !). 'Deep Pocket's' x 'Daddy Long Legs' are PEOY as well.

There is a chance that someone tried to launder wild sanderianums using this cross name, and you may end up with a real sanderianum. Do not forget that wild sanderianums are incredibly cheap in Asia !

There has been an awarded sanderianum ( highland type) reported on the AQ as Deep Pockets x Jacob's Ladder ( both lowland ones).

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

There's at least one OZ cross that is legitimate sanderianum (the original cross). I'm not exactly sure which cultivars were used, which is why I suggested that he check with someone who has come across both real and fake OZ sandies.

And can you explain the differences between the two types of sandy you mentioned? I've come across pictures of one type that looks different from the "standard", if there is such a thing.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Jason, Paphsonly, thanks a million for the info. Yes, Paphsonly, if you do get a chance to post a pic of yours, that would be incredibly helpful and much appreciated.

Yes, Paphsonly, do post a pic of your sand, we would love to see it!

Yeah, we could have that size discussion again! lol...

Heather, my sand is growing quite fast this summer. The new leaf has doubled in size. Yippeee!!!! How's your baby sand coming along?

Oh that's great Pete! Mine looks pretty much just the same, enjoying the sun now. Looks happy!