Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Phal. Pinlong Gold

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Phal. Pinlong Gold

This orchid is one I picked up at HD for $12.93. It's a mericlone, and it's pretty indicative of the 4" Orchids we are receiving right now. Almost all are hybreds and some are quite interesting. As soon as this plant drops it inforence it will be repotted in bark and up sized to a 6" pot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Nice find, and at a great price too. I've never seen them at any of the stores for so low: usually they're 24-26. Was that one of the marked down ones?

That is the regular price. If the store you are shopping at doesn't have them, ask if they can get them. They are Phals in 4" pots. They will probablly say they can't. If that's the case let me know and I'll furnish you a SKU# that they can check to see if it's available. It's entirely possible that the # is inactive in their area. There are a couple of options, if that's the case. They store can call the buyer for their region and get the buyer to turn on the number for them, so that they can order the plants for stock. If the buyer gets horsey and won't turn on the number, try to speak to the manager and ask him or her if they can talk the buyer into letting the store run a test to see if the product will sell in their market area.

I'm having that kind of problem with the buyer for my region, I want to get the Better Gro Orchid Foods in my store and the buyer won't turn on the number for us. Says we don't do a big enough orchid business in Virginia to warrant turning it on. It's an active number in Florida and it's in the system and available, but you know how it is when you are dealling with someone's corporate kingdom.

That is so pretty, I love yellow phals. Matter of fact, I love all Phals, but cannot grow one to save my life. I had a pretty healthy one that I managed to kill. I didn't overwater it or anything, my house is just WAY to bright for them. I have so many windows and skylights that there isn't one *shady* room in my home. I should try to grow dendrobiums now (as suggested by Lja, but I have a bad history with those orchids also. I am really good with the ones that are supposed to be the more 'difficult' one. Go figure.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

It *is* very pretty. And the price is unbeatable.

Obviously, the big chain stores (boxstore, Lowe's, box store) are not in the orchid business, and carrying orchid plants is pretty much just a loss leader for them. As DarkRubi said, there's not enough of a markup involved to warrant the managers funneling a whole bunch of time and money into "caring" for the plants: the idea is, get 'em in, and get 'em out.

That said, you can find some really great deals on orchids at the chain stores, provided you buy them right when the shipment arrives. And, if you're lucky, you might even find an oddball orchid that happened to get thrown in with the Phals and Dendrobiums that you'd probably pay a whole lot more for if you bought it specifically somewhere else.

I would, however, offer a cautionary note when buying from one of the big retailers: if the plant looks like it's heading downhill, don't buy it thinking you're going on a "rescue mission." We've heard from too many people who have tried to "rescue" dying orchid plants from the chain stores: unless you're a really experienced grower, you'll only wind up being very frustrated and chiding yourself for wasting your money.

If, however, you happen to be fortunate enough to live near one of the retailers that has someone working as an associate who is interested in the plants, is willing to care somewhat for them and who will be truthful with you concerning their status, buying from boxstore or box store or Lowe's can be a great way to "get your feet wet" with orchids without having to shell out a whole bunch of cash. And if you happen to "do the plant in," well, you can pass it off as a learning experience that didn't cost you a whole stack of money.

DarkRubi, I wish there were more people like you working in the garden departments of the big stores. It would help the hobby tremendously and, given the exposure those stores have, would really raise the level of the interested public's orchid knowledge.

I'm very glad you're on the boards.