Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HPS light systems and fluorescent lights

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Quote Originally Posted by Paphraguy
    A ballast is the main unit and they are very heavy. So, make sure you get a remote ballast. That way you can just place the heavy ballast on the floor or something instead of hanging it from the ceiling. You then only hang or attach the very light weight reflector with the bulb to the ceiling or the light mover.
    OH!!!! Gotcha! Thanks!!!
    The MH I have has the remote ballast.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Pete, I think that's the longest post I've ever seen you write.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather
    . The smaller one they have is $255 (the pro-ultralite w/430W SunAgro), which isn't bad...and free shipping is nice to boot.
    Thanks H! Where did you find this deal? I want to take a look.

Peter...can you give us an idea of how much it costs you to run this lighting system each month?

Quote Originally Posted by lja
    Pete, I think that's the longest post I've ever seen you write.
    LOL!!! It was actually going to get longer but a customer walked in and I lost my concentration!

Quote Originally Posted by orchid_fan
    Nancy, the link is in Kewpie's first post.

Nancy, the link is in Kewpie's first post.
    Ahh, yes, I see. I had to poke around a bit before finding the system you were referring to, but I see it now! Thank you!

Kewpie -- thanks for all the interesting and helpful info! Keep us posted on how your grow room turns out!

Quote Originally Posted by orchid_fan

Peter...can you give us an idea of how it would cost to run this lighting system each month?

Nancy, I would guess anywhere from $20-50 a month. Well worth it and not too costly I think.

Pete - how many of these systems do you actually have? I mean, you have a lot more plants than Nancy and I - and the movers take at least two lights. So to cover your space? Did you get them all at once or gradually over time? That would also change the cost estimate to run, I'd imagine.

Kewpie -- thanks for all the interesting and helpful info! Keep us posted on how your grow room turns out!
    youre definitely welcome, nancy. i think its more a grow space than a grow room. most of the plants that i have fit on a 4'X1.5' shelf. there are a few low-light type orchids that get an eastern window instead. the fluoro that ive got hangs over the 4' shelf, and im going to replace it in the winter time with the hps. the plants that need a winter rest will go in the eastern window without the light.

Oh and another thing, don't even bother with the smaller puny 60-250 watt HPS systems, they are a waste! Get anything from 400 watt and higher, especially if you have a large collection and that collections grows over time!
    i wish that i could get a 400 watt system. if i did, my whole living room and kitchen would be glowing orange. definitely overkill for my limited space and growing area. i love my plants, but im not willing to sit at my dinner table and have breakfast/lunch/dinner wearing sunglasses. keep in mind: one bedroom apt. with living room and dining room connected. when we buy a house....different story. ive already gotten my significant other to promise me a green house! thats still a few years away (hey im young). for now, the 250 watt one will cover my grow area (and then some). i get some winter light, so this will act as supplemental light as well, except it will do a better job at supplementing than the fluoros that ive got supplementing the summer light. i get good winter light, but i want the plants to have more. like i said earlier, the heat from the ballast will be a plus too.
    oh yeah...charlies told me that im going to be shot if the grow area turns into a grow room. this poor guy cleans up my repotting messes for me even though he hates it (hes definitely a keeper), so i think that i should respect his wishes!

Pete - how many of these systems do you actually have? I mean, you have a lot more plants than Nancy and I - and the movers take at least two lights. So to cover your space? Did you get them all at once or gradually over time? That would also change the cost estimate to run, I'd imagine.
    Two systems but use only one when I got the light movers a few years ago. A light mover distributes light evenly over a bigger area. So, one HPS system on one light mover, larger grow area.

You are so very inquistive, today, aren't you Paphgirl?