Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 Gallon Aquarium

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default 10 Gallon Aquarium

Does anyone grow any orchids in a fish tank? I just opened a box from my ex(long story made short) and it is my fish tank. I'd like to put it to use, but have never known anyone grow in a tank before. Any suggestions?

Traci, I really know nothing about this, except that I've seen "orchidareum" posts at other forums a while back. I think a lot of people use them for the real humidity loving plants....like masdies (!) and other pleurthallids. So, maybe do a search. I think there is a terrarium forum on GW too. At the show I went to in New Hampshire, they had a couple set up for the cooler/humidity loving plants. They were pretty cool and I bet it would be a fun thing to set up - especially if you an interest in these types of plants. Let us know what you find out!

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis/Cattleya species
    Member's Country Flag

I don't grow them in tanks but I've been reading about them... :check:

The tank provides humidity and warmth for the orchids inside. 10 gal. tanks would work. First, make sure it's clean, then fill the base with 1 in. of clay pellets (or some other medium), which will increase humidity. Then you simply place plants on top of the pellets (in their pots, I guess). Keep the clay pellets moist but make sure orchids are not standing in water. The tank should not be flooded and waterlogged, so when watering orchids you can take them out and let them drain before returning them back.

Plants good for this mini-greenhouse are miniature masdievallias and other small, slow-growing orchids (orchid experts, help me out here! ). You can also add small ferns/tillandsias to make it look nicer. A tank is a good idea! It's like a little greenhouse housing little orchids and making them feel nice and comfortable.

Note: I got the idea from a book but did not copy the words though!

Hope this helps!
    I'm sure there are plenty of other ideas around so others can chime in too!

I suspect one issue with a fish tank is stagnant air. You probably need to make sure you have a small fan getting some air movement into the tank, so leaves sway a bit, etc.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNnDC
    I suspect one issue with a fish tank is stagnant air. You probably need to make sure you have a small fan getting some air movement into the tank, so leaves sway a bit, etc.
    Very good advice! Even if you have to leave the top open a bit and angle a fan to blow air into the tank. High humidity & no air movement is a bad combination.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNnDC
    I have about 5 fans ranging in all sizes , so that wouldn't be a problem. I might actually get serious about this, it could be fun!

Default Orhids in a Fish Tank

Quote Originally Posted by OrchidTraci
    Does anyone grow any orchids in a fish tank? I just opened a box from my ex(long story made short) and it is my fish tank. I'd like to put it to use, but have never known anyone grow in a tank before. Any suggestions?
    If you were to look at the orchid book: 'Orchid Growing for Wimps' page 90-91 you can see and read about setting up orchids in an aquarium.

Good Growing, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edcramer
    If you were to look at the orchid book: 'Orchid Growing for Wimps' page 90-91 you can see and read about setting up orchids in an aquarium.

Good Growing, Ed
    Funny you should mention that book. I have about 5 books, but that one is on my list of ones I really want. I'll have to see if I can find a used copy for cheap. Thanks for putting the bug in my mind.

Default Paphiopedilum Growing Under fluorescent Lights

I have been growing orchids for a little while. I guess that I would classify myself as an intermediate beginner. I recently became interested in growing paphs. under four full spectrum fluorescent lights warm to intermediate condtions. I have about 7. The results I have so far are mixed. I have lost a few and a few have bloomed. Any suggestions as to what to grow, fertilzer, water , what are the best dealers to get paphs, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I also grow almost all of my orchids in Semi-hydro pots using PrimeAgra ( see First Ray Orchds). Please help, Good Growing Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edcramer
    I have been growing orchids for a little while. I guess that I would classify myself as an intermediate beginner. I recently became interested in growing paphs. under four full spectrum fluorescent lights warm to intermediate condtions. I have about 7. The results I have so far are mixed. I have lost a few and a few have bloomed. Any suggestions as to what to grow, fertilzer, water , what are the best dealers to get paphs, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I also grow almost all of my orchids in Semi-hydro pots using PrimeAgra ( see First Ray Orchds). Please help, Good Growing Ed
    Hi Ed,
    To get as many respomses as possible, scroll to the top of the page, and click on Orchid Culture. Then there will be a 2" bar that says "New Thread". Use that to type in you question. LJA or Louis own the forum and also is the CEO of River Vally orchidworks. I'm sure he would be glad to help you in your paph / phrag situation. He is VERY patient, kind, and has REALLY healthy plants.