Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For the Slipper nuts

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Quote Originally Posted by Jmoney
    Looks like it *could* be an Elizabeth Castle (Mem. Dick Clements x Hanne Popow), but of course, it is hard to say for sure since it can be consistent with a bunch of names. The OZ can turn a Z-number into a name pretty quick, though. I saw an EC before that was absolutely monstrous, which is pretty strange since it's 50% besseae and 25% schlimii (both very compact phrags). I guess that shot of sargentianum really beefs up plant size.
    If it is that, that's fabulous! Best of both parents, no? Very nice...

Does that hormone stuff really work? I've been thinking about getting some.

Jason you were right! Pretty darn impressive. I got ashamed that everytime I was asked what that one was I hadnt yet gotten the cross on it. I called the place I got it from and it is an elizabeth castle!

If there was a prize you would be getting it! nicely done.

Forrest, let us know how the s/h goes. I just potted some in it 2 months ago for the first time. All going well, so far - 2 phrags, 1 phal, 1 enc., 1 milt, 1 epi, and a cochleanhes cross with something. All seem to be taking to it fine, so far. I'm curious how the paphs will do - I've heard mixed reviews with them. Do let us know.

I,ve got a Paph Roth(12" LS) & a Path Chamberlainanum in s/h.Roth has been in for a couple of months & is growing a new leaf.
    Chamberlainanum was put in s/h whilst it was flowering & is still flowering & looks very happy.
    What LECA are you using ?
    Is it Diatomite !

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

I've had all my paphs in it for a year now. I haven't had any problems moving healthy plants into s/h. If you're on a windowsill, then I think s/h is a perfect way to hasten the demise of a rootless wonder. The only paphs that seem to hate it are the pure brachys, and I suspect that's because of the cool temps at the root zone in the wintertime under the s/h system.

And I started off with geolite, which is similar to hydroton, but a few months ago got a cheap supply of primeagra and moved everything into it.

Im using hydroton. Im guessing that like Jason, I will be moving to PA pretty quick. I just got back from a wedding and already the top pieces are dry. That is not the best wicking power imo. I will definately keep you all posted on how this works out.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

I had that issue with geolite. The very top of Prime agra still gets dry, at least under the low humidity conditions of the windowsill. I don't think it's a problem, since the bulk of the root system should be well inside the interior of the pot.

The main reason I moved to prime agra was because the stupid geolite pieces are very floatant, and if you water quickly, a bunch of pebbles comes floating out...

Much better interlocking with PA, and therefore one can water a lot faster.

Can,t find Prime Agra in the UK so i use Hydroleca , it,s basically the same thing but smaller & roundish.It wicks extremel well.I have a ceiling fan running in the room where my bloomers are & the top layer does dry out.I turn the fan off whilst i,m sleeping & the top layer is wet again in the morning.

Mind you it,s probably only the surface of the LECA that is dry & i like the idea of a gradient of wetness in the medium.