Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My visit to Tindara Orchids

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Quote Originally Posted by Paphraguy
    The third one is a Phrag Sedenii or at least it looks very much like one to me! I have always liked that hybrid but I like Phrag Cardinale even better!
    Oh, well, it was the one labeled as "Eric Young 4N 'Mont Millais' x schlimii"
    the one we talked about the other night, that he wouldn't sell because his wife liked it so much - or only for the right price (tho it is listed on the website at $50.) That is not Sedenii is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Heather
    Oh, well, it was the one labeled as "Eric Young 4N 'Mont Millais' x schlimii"
    the one we talked about the other night, that he wouldn't sell because his wife liked it so much - or only for the right price (tho it is listed on the website at $50.) That is not Sedenii is it?
    It looks very much like a Sedenii to me and I do not see any bess in that flower, not even a slight hint but I could be wrong. Sedenii is schlimii x longifolium. Personally, I like the Cardinale, the best of the bunch! Rob was willing to sell his best BS multigrowth div for $35 but I turned it down because I need space for my species. Maybe, one day when I have the space.

Quote Originally Posted by Paphraguy
    It looks very much like a Sedenii to me and I do not see any bess in that flower, not even a slight hint but I could be wrong. Sedenii is schlimii x longifolium. Personally, I like the Cardinale, the best of the bunch! Rob was willing to sell his best BS multigrowth div for $35 but I turned it down because I need space for my species. Maybe, one day when I have the space.

Hm, well I don't know - that's what it is listed as.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

I don't think that's Sedenii because the petals are way too broad. It looks a little bit like that famous Cardinale 'Birchwood' that masquerades around as schlimii, but that clone has much rounder petals.

It doesn't look like Eric Young x schlimii to me either--no obvious besseae influence. The petals are unusually flat, so I suspect that any longifolium influence has been tempered by a lot of schlimii...

I can send Frank (not another Bob! Whew!) an email if you want...

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

First make sure that he won't get mad that you're calling the identity of his plant in question, because we wouldn't want him to cut off your supply now, would we?

Quote Originally Posted by JMoney
    First make sure that he won't get mad that you're calling the identity of his plant in question, because we wouldn't want him to cut off your supply now, would we?
    First, I was going to say "can you remind me of what that cross was? It slipped my mind"

And second, Holy you-know-what! Like you and Peter are not my main suppliers as of late?!?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis/Cattleya species
    Member's Country Flag

Oh, Heather, that is a lovely orchid greenhouse! I am green with envy...lol...
    I've never been to an orchid gh before and would love to. The problem is that I live in the "wrong" place...a drive to the nearest one would be lots and lots of hours for me (which is too far away).

So many orchids at once...just a few orchids at some store would get me so extremely excited...imagine a whole gh of orchids! Hmmmm....

Orchids make me !

Quote Originally Posted by Jmoney
    I don't think that's Sedenii because the petals are way too broad. It looks a little bit like that famous Cardinale 'Birchwood' that masquerades around as schlimii, but that clone has much rounder petals.

It doesn't look like Eric Young x schlimii to me either--no obvious besseae influence. The petals are unusually flat, so I suspect that any longifolium influence has been tempered by a lot of schlimii...
    Actually, it's Phrag Cardinale 'Wilcox' that is being masqueraded around as "Schlimii" and it is not a true schlimii.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather
    And second, Holy you-know-what! Like you and Peter are not my main suppliers as of late?!? :eek
    See? Now there is Paphraguy going and being difficult again...good thing these aren't drugs! You pushers you!