Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paph growing under fluoresent lights

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Paph growing under fluoresent lights

Hi to all,I have been growing orchids for a little while. I guess that I would classify myself as an intermediate-beginner. I recently became interested in trying to grow and bloom paphiopedilums under four four foot fluorescent full specturm tubes in internediate to warm growing conditions. I have about 7 paphs. The results I have had so far are mixed at best. I have lost a few and a few have bloomed for me. I am using Semi-Hydro pots and Prime Agra growing medium for all of my orchids. Any suggestions as to what specific types are the best to start out with , watering, types of fertilizer to use,where to obtain plants, etc., etc. will be greatly appreicated. Good Growing, Ed

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

ah a developing paphnut...run for your life, because there is no turning back. Under that setup, you have enough light to grow the vast majority of paphs. Most of them will also do well with int-warm temps, although the multiflorals and parvisepalums will require a cool winter rest (55 degrees for a month) to reliably set buds.

I have been using s/h for about a year now, and primeagra in particular for maybe 3 months. I would caution against putting brachypetalums in there. It may work for some, but all of mine hated it. I suspect the cool root zone really got to them during the winter.

Default Paphiopedilum Growing Under fluorescent Lights

Hi JMoney, I don't have all that much room I have other orchids growing under the lights. You use s/h what do you fertilize? How much and how often? Do you use tap water? Thanks for the fast reply, ed

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

I use dyna-gro in various formulations depending on season and growth stage of the plant, but most of the time it's a balanced fertilizer 7-9-5. I use dyna gro because I bought a couple bottles a long time ago, and I still have a ton left. I'm not convinced it's any better than any other non-urea based fertilizer.

I fertilize at 1/4 to 1/2 strength every 2 weeks or so, and use tap water in between. NYC tap water I'm told is low in dissolved salts, so I just leave it lying around for a couple days and hope that the chlorines and chloramines dissipate somewhat.

Thanks JMoney, It may be that I am using Dyna Gro too much and too often. This info may be what I am looking for! Good Growing, Ed

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

The fertilizer regimen I use is on the light side. I'm sure one could easily increase that a great deal with the appropriate light, heat, and humidity. If your plants aren't telling you otherwise with black leaf and root tips, then I'd hesitate to make any drastic changes.

Hi Jason, Any suggestions on what species and/or hybrids (mottled leaf) to start with!!?? Like many others my growing space is rather limited. Ed

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Ed, if you like the vinicolored Paphs, (they're some of my favorite), we have many on the website that would do very well under your lighting conditions.

Default Pete Laroca 'Basra' RVG JAPAN

Hi IJA, I will take a look. I think I have room for one or maybe two, that is if my others don't end up in orchid heaven! Good Growing, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Jmoney
    The fertilizer regimen I use is on the light side. I'm sure one could easily increase that a great deal with the appropriate light, heat, and humidity. If your plants aren't telling you otherwise with black leaf and root tips, then I'd hesitate to make any drastic changes.
    Jason, I just talked to Louis an ordered a bs Maudiae from him. His selection. I can't wait to get it! Ed