Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone been in a show?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Anyone been in a show?

I was wondering if anyone (or how many of you) had your orchids in shows ? I'm thinking about *maybe* doing a show next year if my plants are in bloom.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Go for it, Traci! It's a lot of fun. Does your orchid society up there do exhibits at local NY shows? You might put a few of your plants in the next society exhibit for starters, if they do. And while you're at it, be sure to volunteer to clerk for judging--it's amazing what you'll learn!

Quote Originally Posted by lja
    Go for it, Traci! It's a lot of fun. Does your orchid society up there do exhibits at local NY shows? You might put a few of your plants in the next society exhibit for starters, if they do. And while you're at it, be sure to volunteer to clerk for judging--it's amazing what you'll learn!
    Last show here, there were exibits for individual first timers. Alot of the area (western NY) orchid greenhouses do their own displays, and then the individual flower judging. I'm sure I'll learn a great deal from Jim (the orchid farmer I work for). He always talks about first and formost the adreneline. I'm sure it can be very stressful when you are up and competing against 5 other major orchid farmer.

Some shows have specific categories for amateurs (non-commercial or hobbyist)...you may want to look for that as a first-timer. Another good one to put together is an Educational Display...often not as competitive, but so important.

Can we educate others on how to stay away from the AOS? *snicker*

My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phrags
    Member's Country Flag

Traci,
    Shows are a lot of fun, but can be a lot of work,depending on what you do for a display. I get a little anal about how things should be in displays.

The fun part is seeing all the visitors to the show, getting hooked on growing orchids.

One of my first posts on here was a picture of my display this year and ALL my winning phals...one paph and a couple of epi's. You can earn a lot of resect from your fellow growers....once they pick their jaw up off the floor from seeing all your awards.
    Here is a link to the photo.
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...24115746PLDVuH

Quote Originally Posted by Gilda
    Traci,
    Shows are a lot of fun, but can be a lot of work,depending on what you do for a display. I get a little anal about how things should be in displays.

The fun part is seeing all the visitors to the show, getting hooked on growing orchids.

One of my first posts on here was a picture of my display this year and ALL my winning phals...one paph and a couple of epi's. You can earn a lot of resect from your fellow growers....once they pick their jaw up off the floor from seeing all your awards.
    Here is a link to the photo.
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...24115746PLDVuH
    I've seen that photo, it is fantastic! I have a vision of the set up I would like to do, but visions are always easier than doing! I'd also pray that some of my orchids are in bloom so I could actually enter.

Default Orchid Shows and Society Meetings

Hi, I always admire pictures of well grown plants. I find myself trying to grow better plants after looking at such great growing. Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Floofy
    Some shows have specific categories for amateurs (non-commercial or hobbyist)...you may want to look for that as a first-timer. Another good one to put together is an Educational Display...often not as competitive, but so important.
    I LOVE your avatar pic.

Default Well THANKS! I've been getting heat for it from...

some of our fellow posters (aka PERSISTENCE) I've always been a big fan of DD and couldn't think of anything clever.