Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: transition to lights...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Real Name
    Jenny
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts, paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Default transition to lights...

Well...it's looking like I'm going to find myself heading south to Colorado at the end of the school year-south of Denver to try a new place. My best friend lives there, I have a lead on starting an equine rehab business-something I've always wanted to do (treating/rehab-ing sport-horses that have had surgery or injuries). And, I'm hoping to hook up a teaching job as well. All good things....that I'm excited about.

HOWEVER...I also have a lead on a very cool place to live-CHEAP. It's an apartment in the fancy training barn that my best friend works out of and that I can run my equine rehab business out of. Problem? LACK OF windows.

I think I will have a couple west windows. And, considering I've recently become obsessed with these R. Mueller type catts, and have a BUNCH....this is going to be a problem. Not to mention the oncids that I have....

I know my couple paphs, phrags and several phals will be happy.....*sigh*

SO--I know Diane grows her catts with lights on a cart (and I know she's busy traveling-love the traveloque!). Are there others of you out there in situations where you are limited in light/south/east windows who are successfully growing these high light beasts?

I have a link/some information to the grow cart that Diane has-will look into that. Nice thing about this apartment is I don't have to pay electricity!

I would like to hear from people on what works/what doesn't...types of bulbs? Lights on a timer, consistent amount of light all year, or do you adjust to the natural photo period? Am I doomed? LOL

Thanks!

Real Name
    Lynda
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phals, paphs, oncs
    Member's Country Flag

I don't know a thing about lights, but what an opportunity! You are really making this new chapter of your life count; good for you! And I'm excited about having you move to CO, too.

OK, if you are sure about the WEST windows, I think you may have your happy plants backwards. West is usually brighter and hotter than East. I keep some of my phals and low light paphs in the East windows and have avoided West windows up until recently now that I have some high light plants in my care.

One thing you can do with west windows though is put your lower light plants on the edges of the bright light and the catts and onc. in more full light as required.

Does that make sense?

Real Name
    Jenny
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts, paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Well, I will be the first to admit to being directionally challenged at times. LOL

I have a west window in my current house and there is very little light-have my paphs and phals there. My high light plants are all in south and east windows....

In my former house I had an east window that my lower light plants did well in-you're right about that....

I'm still concerned, I guess mostly based on THIS west window and the lack of space in this apartment that my catts, encyclias, etc. are going to be unhappy without lights.

*shrug* Guess I won't truly know till I get there, but if I'm going to have to get set up with lights, I'd like to do know what I need to get set up with sooner than later so the transition is easier on the plants (and therefor me!).

Thanks for the input so far!

I guess my response was based on typical home exposures. I did not consider the possibility of a western view being blocked. We certainly don't have that problem.

Our view West from our front porch.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Real Name
    Jenny
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts, paphs
    Member's Country Flag

what do they say around here? eeveal? LOL

Lovely view!

I just spoke to my best friend...actually we think (based on both of us being more directionally challenged together than apart) that the windows are north facing. *sigh*

But-I will have a killer view out the front of the barn. Photos promised in a few months.

Lights-here I come!

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Masdevallias and Paphs

Steven,
    That is a nice view
    I wish I had that many windows and with such a view.

MtEquine, I already reply to your questions on growing under lights http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchid...24-post22.html

I hope the info helps you
    Augusto