Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lost tag need help with id

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default lost tag need help with id

This is the first time this phal rebloom since I brought it a year ago. If possible can someone id it for me. I will update a picture of it full bloom. It came with a tag but i was a newbie at the time so i threw the tag. it has two old spike and two new spike. There are a total of 10 branch. Just wonder how much will one person pay for this plant
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sorry to disappoint you, but Phals are so heavily hybridized, that it's nearly impossible to give an accurate visual identification. Flowers can look amazingly similar and have completely different breeding lines. Don't even attempt to guess - without an accurate tag, your plant joins the legions of the NOIDs. (No identification.) It's ok though - we can still love NOIDs!

McJulie

Default ful bloom

here is the bloom anyone have any idea what the id is? All three bloom are from the same plant. I have a question. I need help on these four little guy. Dend. Prenticei, dend rigidum, dend. teretifolium, and cadetia taylori. any help is greatly appreciate

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

oh my it is mutant peloric! if its a mericlone it should be IDable. I would try to find the vendor

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    I need help on these four little guy. dend. rigidum . any help is greatly appreciate
    Dend rigidum doesn't like wet feet and is difficult to maitain in a pot. It would do much better on a mount with good humidity. It takes very high light in the winter and 50% shade in summer months. Good air movement throughout the year. Allow it to dry between waterings!!! Overwatering in the winter will mean sure death to the plant, especially if potted. Mine is in bloom now and had a flush of blooms in January. All that said, I have been growing mine in a pot for the last 3 years with a fast draing medium.

Real Name
    Jenny
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts, paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ron-NY View Post
    Dend rigidum doesn't like wet feet and is difficult to maitain in a pot. It would do much better on a mount with good humidity. It takes very high light in the winter and 50% shade in summer months. Good air movement throughout the year. Allow it to dry between waterings!!! [/IMG]
    ok...this may be a lame question, but I don't care! How does the average home grower (lights and/or windows) do "50% shade"...I see the % shade or % sun thing mentioned a lot. I can see where this might be easier to figure out if you were growing in a greenhouse....?

Is is shady 50% of the TIME? or?

Thanks!

Default Den Norma Jackson Firecracker

Is it a Den. norma jackson firecracker. I grow it in those little clay pellets. I got it about a year and a half ago as a keiki. hope you guy enjoy it and tell me if i got the ID right for this one

Default update of the phal n other in bloom

the red phal is a rescue from a friend that almost kill it. All the flower from the pink and white phal is from one plant. It branches everywhere. The the purple den is a re-bloom from a few days ago.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vandas, Catts, Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mtequine View Post
    How does the average home grower (lights and/or windows) do "50% shade"...

Is is shady 50% of the TIME? or?
    I would assume 50% shade to mean that it needs to be somewhere where it is not in the sun for half the time, so maybe my living room window where it gets lots of light, but only gets actual sun from the afternoon onwards. Rather than in a southerly facing window, with no obstructions, that gets the sun in some angle virtually all day.

I am trying to compare it to the idea of an orchid sitting happily in a tree getting sun for part of the day until the sun swings round and the orchid is actually shaded by the tree.

Is that a correct interpretation?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vandas, Catts, Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    All the flower from the pink and white phal is from one plant. It branches everywhere.
    I do love a branching phal, you feel like you are getting more flowers for your money.

For some reason I didn't used to be a fan of white phals, I think it is because there were so many of the REALLY big and REALLY round hybrids which I thought looked a bit characterless. I did find one that changed my mind (much smaller, branching and very happy looking), although I don't know if it is Cool Breeze or Zuma Camreal. (The nursery had labelled it up incorrectly as Rendezvous, and those are the two whites that this nursery supply).

I have been thinking of getting a white orchid with a red lip, so I am rather jealous of your branching phal. Any idea what hybrid it is?