Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: New arrivals - Ascda & a Catt and some questions

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Default New arrivals - Ascda & a Catt and some questions

Hi everyone! I just received an Ascocenda Princess Mikasa Blue and a Cattleya gaskelliana alba al the way from Germany and I have a few questions.

Both plants seem to be in a pretty good condition. As far as I can see the Ascda has previously had 3 spikes and it has another one coming up. It's in a small pot which is then placed in the larger one with plenty of damp sphagnum in it which looks like it's been in there for some time rather than just being placed there for the journey. The plants seems happy enough so I think I'll keep it that way. Now, it has a few small dark spots on a couple of leaves so I was wondering if it's something I should worry about? Also is there any chance that it'll keep the spike even despite the journey and being in the new home?

Here are some pictures of the plant, roots, spike and the spots on the leaves.

The Catt is also looking good to me, it has a new growth but, again, it has a couple of dark spots on the big leaf which is my only concern.

Sorry for the long post and all the pictures but I'd love to hear what you think. Also if there's anything else that you think might be a concernthen I'd love to hearit.

Thank you

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

No worries. Everything looks normal, Elena. Beautiful plants! Orchids get little spots every now and again. Just keep an eye on them and make sure more don't start showing up. I think they look really healthy. I bet the spike makes it too since it is in such a young stage. Good luck!

Cheers,
    BD

I agree with Bruce!! All should be fine. I have a Princess Mikasa 'Mood Indigo' Please post of pic of yours when it blooms. I get 2 or 3 spikes a year on mine. I move mine outdoors in the summer sun. Here is a picture of 'Mood Indigo'. I bet your clone will be bluer. I have also seen pink clones of this Ascocenda.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Thank you guys, I can stop being neurotic now :o I will be over the moon if the spike survives after all the upheaval so will definitely post pictures. How long do they normally take to develop fully? I'm thinking by May/June or so?

Ron, that's a beautiful bloom! And yes, the vendor that I got these two from also has Princess Mikasa Pink so I might well add one of those to the collection as some point too.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Just a little update - it's been less than a week but the spike on the Ascda is definitely growing Keeping my fingers crossed for some blooms!

The new growth on the Catt is increasing in size as well

Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Very nice!!! I'm drooling over the blue Ascdas. We have a blue mini Darwinara Charm but there's just something about the big blooms.
    Elena, your plants look great to me. Do you normally grow Ascda in sphag in the UK? Guess I'm just used to seeing them bare in a basket.

Tami

My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Tami, it came all the way from Germany but I know of UK vendors who grow their vandaceous orchids either in substract or in glass vases as well as baskets.

I have moved the Ascda into a clear pot with better drainage and took out some of the sphagnum as it was packed pretty tightly and I was worried about the roots staying too wet and rotting so I'm still keeping a close eye on it but if it's happy growing in sphagnum then who am I to argue with it, right?

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

Looks good to me , here is a little enabling this is the Pink one , picture from 05, it and the blue are really good choices lots of flowers several times a year .. Gin
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Grow Area
    Windowsill

As if I needed more enabling. It's beautiful, Gin!