Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is a good first time paph?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vandas, Catts, Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

When you talk about water quality being good, I have seen people talking about RO water on the forum before and I was also interested to see the posts relating to the use of old water from fish tanks. I was wondering if this is sufficient? We use RO water for our fish, but I wasn't sure if you would need to add anything to the RO water, to sort of make up for the lack of minerals.

Thanks

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Discus require very good water quality! so I would think the RO water is excellent from them for orchids because its not very salty, and it contains nutrients too. Just don't give them the fish poop... I do wonder if the RO water collects some minerals from the pebbles in the tank.
    Phrag besseae! These are the compact phrags I have: Phrag Waunakee Sunset, Phrag schlimii, Phrag pearcei and Phrag Ecua-Bess(really similar to Phrag Olaf Gruss). Phrag schlimii is a species that gives pink blooms and hybrids, and is also compact. I will get a Phrag Scarlet O'Hara eventually. Phrag warscewiczianum (aka Phrag popowii) is a compact long petalled species I have

A really easy, and very compact Phrag. species is Phrag. fischeri. It requires MUCH less water than any of my other Phrag. species, and is the easiest I have...

My Phrag. fischeri

-Pat

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

...I've gotta get phrag fischeri too! It is a must have as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahon View Post
    A really easy, and very compact Phrag. species is Phrag. fischeri. It requires MUCH less water than any of my other Phrag. species, and is the easiest I have...

My Phrag. fischeri

-Pat
    THANKS PAT!!! Just when I thought I REALLY didn't want or need any more phrags. Especially after I received my armeniancum today.

Real Name
    Jenny
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts, paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoOrchid View Post
    THANKS PAT!!! Just when I thought I REALLY didn't want or need any more phrags. Especially after I received my armeniancum today.
    I must admit, I added fischeri to my list as well after deciding not to hold the fact that its pink against it's LOVELY shape and rave review from Pat. (so, I second the "thanks pat!") LOL

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Talking Jumped in the deep end

Well I have done it, here are my two paph-lings. They have both got a couple of new growths on the plant, but aren't very big.

I took your advice Fren! The vendor told me that this Maudiae were just opening, so I hope he is right - will be cross if they are on their way out!!!!
    Name:  DSC03098.JPG
Views: 395
Size:  28.9 KB
    Name:  DSC03097.JPG
Views: 370
Size:  31.7 KB

I don't think they liked the trip home though

Paph chamberlain x philippinense
    Name:  DSC03095.JPG
Views: 751
Size:  36.0 KB
    Name:  DSC03091.JPG
Views: 381
Size:  31.5 KB

I know Diane, you told me that philippinense are slow growers, but I really wanted a sequential grower! And I did like the look of this one too...

Poor old Mr Kerry could only take so much, it's just as well that i am going back tomorrow with my parents... Maybe there are more in my future

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Lovely paphs and excellent choice. The colour on both of them are very charming.

The chamberlain x philippinense looks like it is blooming as a true multifloral (all blooms at once) rather than a sequential one. Wow this one is brightly coloured! It is registered as Paph Helvetia.
    Todd's Judge Philip (Pinocchio x philippinense), a similar cross, bloomed as a sequential multiforal.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill

They are lovely, Kerry. Hurrah for Paphs!

I'm planning on dragging Mr E with me to Chelsea and an orchid show in Tatton Park this summer and while he's normally quite good and doesn't mind I think I'll assign the task of picture taking to him so he feels involved and is not too bored.

Hope you had a good time!

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by smartie2000 View Post
    Lovely paphs and excellent choice. The colour on both of them are very bright.

The chamberlain x philippinense looks like it is blooming as a true multifloral (all blooms at once) rather than a sequential one. Wow this one is brightly coloured! It is registered as Paph Helvetia.
    Todd's Judge Philip (Pinocchio x philippinense), a similar cross, bloomed as a sequential multiforal.
    Thank you so much! I have been dancing around a bit, and keep going in the kitchen to check on them. A bit sad really

The Helvetia (thanks for giving him his name) has a new bud growing, and the bottom flower is looking more than a little wrinkled and kind of on the way out. I assumed it was sequential, and that the new blooms opening just coincided with the old ones dying off. Would this mean that true sequential bloomers only have one bloom at a time, and go onto form a new bud once the old bloom fades? Sorry to be 'little miss question time' but I might as well ask.

Thanks!