Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potting Media - Peat?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vandas, Catts, Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Unhappy Potting Media - Peat?

I have just returned from a trip to my nearest orchid nursery (only 1 1/2 hours away). Primarily because I needed some potting media and I have heard bad things about the branded stuff you get at garden centres.

The nursery was selling a Peat, Perlite and bark mixture as a standard phal potting media. I haven't really seen that many positive comments about peat on this site, so was wondering if you can tell me what peat would add to a potting mixture, and what orchids it would suit.

Other threads I have seen refer to adding charcoal to potting media. What exactly does charcoal bring to the media, and again which orchids does it suit?

Thanks for you help in advance, I appreciate it.

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Peat just isn't used by our members, it's just different... and needs to be repotted often, and watered less. I heard it is great for the oncidium alliance.

Anyways charcoal is supposed to act as a sweetener for the mix and it suits all orchids. It has absorptive qualities and can pull out and neutralize toxins, etc. It is very useful but I don't add too much of it, because the production of it is not healthy for habitat conservation. ... It also doesn't decompose like bark so it does keep the mix open, sort of like what perlite and sponge rock would do

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by smartie2000 View Post
    Anyways charcoal is supposed to act as a sweetener for the mix and it suits all orchids
    possibly daft question, but what do you mean by sweetener?

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

I think sweetener is used to describe that it keeps the toxins from the decaying mix from affecting the orchids, so the mix stays sweet. I don't like that word either...it just what everyone uses

...nvm bout the peat is not used by our members. I add a pinch of it for my paphs sometimes. Not decayed composted peat, but dried Canadian peat

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

There is a mix called Pro Mix that is more peat then anything some growers use it for Phals .but is a death sentence for new growers that like to water . The mix you mentioned should be fine considering the peat is mixed with bark and perlite . Gin

Charcoal is often used in potting mixes and fish filters to absorb impurities that can freak out living things. It's a good additive to have in a mix. Peat I'm less sure about. It does make for a wetter mix, and reduces air flow to the roots.

If it's all you can get, you'll need to add perlite or some other "spacer" to recreate air access to the roots, and you'll need to sort out your watering schedule to compensate for the longer moisture retention.

McJulie

Favorite Orchid(s)
    whatever will bloom
    Member's Country Flag

It also depends on the type of peat. In some commercial mixes they use 'chunky' peat. It is just that chunky/lumpy instead of fine textured. The main benefit is water retention but it does break down after a time. It is commonly used in conjuction with large grade charcoal and large grade bark, so aim is still for breathable mix but with some material [the peat ] that will keep the media a bit moister than bark alone.

Promix tends to have the finer peat. A friend of mine uses it on all his phals, catts, oncs, and dens with great success. I, however, kill pretty much anything if I use it. So if I get an orchid in Promix, I generally try to repot it immediately.

As with any mix, it really comes down to finding what works for your conditions.

Real Name
    Rebecca Luce
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya!!
    Member's Country Flag

Speaking of media, I bought two phals over the weekend, and were potted in a rather strange way: The majority of the pot appears to be a 1/2 sphagnum moss 1/2 bark mix...but they put a top layer of just bark. I literally had to stick my fingers in to realize there was sphagnum down there!

I haven't repotted them yet because they are still blooming; but I do plan to repot them once they are done using just a bark mix- I like to water, and that sphagnum/moss of any kind just seems to kill the orchids if you keep it too wet...

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis cymbidium dendrob

They use charcoal tablets for dogs with flatulence! Sorry! I always lower the tone, Judi

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Well, I will just have to go visit my local pet store then.