Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Are any orchids for sale???

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    On a Porch/Patio.

Default Are any orchids for sale???

I must be doing something wrong but can't seem to figure it out. I see the links to Orchid bids. I have also tried to open up the catalog link for river valley orchidwords but that just takes me to the Orchid Bids site. Anyway there does not appears to be anything for sale there but I see posts recently from people talking about puchased items. I tried to register there to see if that was it but i got a message that i would have to pay to do some age verification. I didn't want to pay money just to browse and potentilaly buy. And i didn't want to pay just to find out there really isn't anything for sale. Am I doing something wrong?

Well, other than the RVO link taking you to Orchid Bids, you are doing nothing wrong.

You are right, there is currently nothing for sale there. I just had 5 or 6 things for sale over the last couple of weeks. I will be posting some other things again soon.

You will be able to see the items for sale without paying the $1 fee, but will not be able to bid or list unless you do. It is not just an age verification thing, it is also a way to verify our reality too, a fraud check if you will.

If you are into paphs I can go post a couple of things right now!!! I also have some NoIDs if you like them.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoOrchid View Post
    Well, other than the RVO link taking you to Orchid Bids, you are doing nothing wrong.
    Nope, that is not *wrong* either. RVO closed our commercial business on-line in November 2005. We only sell our plants through Orchid-Bids now, so the RVO Catalog link should take you to Orchid-bids.

In order to list/sell, trade, or buy on the RVO site, you must be a registered member of Orchid-Bids. There is no SSL encryption or verification of anything other than an email address on OrchidTalk, but on Orchid-Bids a registered member has at the very least established s/he has either a valid credit card or bank account, is who s/he says s/he is, and is the correct age to go into legally binding contracts.

Orchid-Bids is also a secure SSL website as verified by the live 'GoDaddy' site verification seal in the bottom left corner of every screen, so when a person is logged into that site and enters personal information/details about him/ herself, that information is encrypted and protected.

Aviator8, many members use Orchid-bids but it seems to come and go in spurts. Now that the weather is warming up in the states, I expect more trading/ buying & selling to happen on the site. As Steven said, you do not have to be registered or even logged into Orchid-bids to see listings. Anything listed on that site is automatically broadcast on the RVO OrchidTalk Orchid Forum lobby page and is heavily spidered on the Internet, so lots of eyes see it. Best of luck.

Cheers,
    BD

My Grow Area
    On a Porch/Patio.

Great! Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure I was doing it right. I have no problem paying the $1 to bid on items but want to find something I like first. My wife will have my head if I buy anything new right now though. I just bought a bunch of supplies for S/H, mounting orchids, tren ferns, etc. and have recently purchased 3 flasks and about 20 orchids. I end up doing this in the spring but I think I have pushed her as far as I can go right now. Plus I am running out of room to put these things. I have no idea how i will fit them all in AND provide enough light come this winter.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by aviator8 View Post
    Great! Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure I was doing it right. I have no problem paying the $1 to bid on items but want to find something I like first. My wife will have my head if I buy anything new right now though. I just bought a bunch of supplies for S/H, mounting orchids, tren ferns, etc. and have recently purchased 3 flasks and about 20 orchids. I end up doing this in the spring but I think I have pushed her as far as I can go right now. Plus I am running out of room to put these things. I have no idea how i will fit them all in AND provide enough light come this winter.
    Lol, sounds like you need to list some stuff on Orchid-bids...hehehehehheee...

Glad that our responses helped!

Cheers,
    BD