Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Win an Orchid for you and one for a friend!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Talking Win an Orchid for you and one for a friend!

The OrchidTalk Referral Contest..
    (Special thanks to OrchidTalk member desertgal (Katie) for the donation of the beautiful orchids to GROW our orchid community!)
    * Contest dates Monday, June 4, 2007 - 12:01 a.m. - Sunday, July 1, 2007 (12:01 a.m.)
    Here is how the referral contest will work:
    You get people to join our community using your refer id. They join and post at the very least ten messages (no filler posts*) in the month that they join. If you, the member who got them to join has the most referrals in the month, then the member that you got to join with the most posts above the minimum of ten - both win the prize!!! If your recruits do not post above the minimum of 10 posts within the contest period, the referral doesn't count toward the contest. If for some reason two member's bring in the same number of recruits, a simple drawing will be done to select the winner. Then I will look at the winner's recruits and award the second prize to the new member who has the most posts!

BOTH YOU AND YOUR FRIEND WIN!
    SO an illustration for those who might be confused:
    MEMBER 'A' goes out and tells his/her friends about our orchid forum, OrchidTalk, and the plant giveaway! Friend '1' of 'A' joins the forum and uses MEMBER 'A's' referrer id when s/he registers at OrchidTalk.

Then '1' starts participating in the forum. Before everyone knows it, MEMBER '1' has now posted more than 10 messages on the board and is considered active in our community.

....... Skip ahead a month .........

BD posts the stats for all to see. Member 'A's' name goes into the winner's circle because s/he got 8 new members to sign up. (All 8 of the new members posted at a minimum of 10 times over the month of the contest & it just so happens MEMBER '1' made 33 posts.)

BD looks at the stats and MEMBER 'A' has 8 people but wait-- MEMBER 'B' also has 8 people with the required posts, so he puts both names into a hat and draws out a winner. In this instance, let's say it was Member 'A's'

Then BD checks to see which of Member 'A's' new members has posted the most. He sees that it is clearly Member '1' and so Member 'A' and '1' both win the prizes!
    Now for the prizes:
    If you live in the connected United States and you are the winning Referrer, you get your choice of one of the following orchid plants:
    • Blc. Campobello 'Mendenhall' (LS)
    • Blc. Crispin Rosales'Costa Masa' (LS)
    • Lc. Hwa Yuan Angel 'Little Beauty'(NBS) AM/OSROC
    If you are a referee with the most posts* then you win your choice of the remaining two plants!
    Name:  campobello.gif
Views: 397
Size:  41.9 KBName:  crispin-rosales.gif
Views: 399
Size:  45.2 KBName:  hwa_yuan_angel_little_beaut.gif
Views: 468
Size:  42.0 KB

(These are representative photos of the blooms from the net.)

If you are from outside the connected United States in either winning position, you win your choice of OrchidTalk Forum Gear:
    • A Forum T-shirt
    • Coffee Mug
    • Mouse Pad
    • Wall Clock
    • Set of Greeting Cards COOL!
    Name:  prize.gif
Views: 635
Size:  29.8 KB

So, how do you find your referrer id?
    Simple, go to your user control panel (user CP). The link is at the top left of every page on the site. Here you will see a new section to your profile with a link.

This link can be posted in an email, on a website, or a blog, etc.
    PLEASE DO NOT SPAM OTHER SITES!
    Be sure to follow the rules of other sites when posting your link. We want to make friends, not create problems. Nobody likes a spammer. When a person comes to this site via your link and registers, then you will be given credit for that registration referral. EASY!

Where are some good places to post my link?
    You can post your link anywhere on the web or in an email. Many of us belong to Orchid Societies and you could post your link on their page or even email the members who you think would want to join in our community. You can even print out your link and hand it to friends!

The cool part is that the person doesn't even have to know your member name or id number. It will be built into the link that s/he clicked or pastes into the browser to come to the site.
    Remember this contest is to grow our orchid forum community. As such, there are a couple of rules:
    1. You cannot register additional users for yourself. One member, one membership. The forum software will know if a member registers another userid because the systems has IP identification. When a member register's on OrchidTalk, the administrator can see the city and internet company where the IP is located. In addition, the software notifies the admin via PM the instant someone with a different username logs into the forum from an IP that has already been used by another member. This will automatically disqualify you from the contest.

2. Have fun and realize that this contest is meant to build our community. More members participating means we all learn more and make lasting friendships.
    ENOUGH with the rules.... lets grow our community! Questions, ask them here in this thread.

*no filler posts counted - meaning that your post must contain at least two complete sentences with 5 or more words each. Posts with images are considered on content basis. Final decision is left up to the admin.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

a polite reminder bump about the current referrals contest.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Well, I guess this contest was too hard. It seems no one entered. But just because no one entered, doesn't mean that the forum has not been growing.

I took a look at the forum stats. I wanted to know who were the most active 'new' members of our group. So, I had to select a date to begin. I choose March 1, 2007. I figured that four months was a fair search. Well, the software spit out a page of names. So, I had to narrow it down a bit. I then added the criteria of 100+ posts. Seemed fair and I thought that should give me a winner. Well, no, the software spit out four names. I could have easily just picked the person with the most posts, but that seemed to obvious and would negate the other members in that group unfairly. They met the criteria of 100+ posts and joined after 3-01-07. So, I copied their member names into a note pad and printed them out. I took our paper cutter and cut them into little strips of paper (all the same size). I folded each one in half and I put them into a plastic drink cup. Gave it a shake and drew out a slip of paper. (real technically advanced - I know!)

The name on that paper is the winner. (I'll post her name below) But first, here are the names of the members who were in the drawing:

Becky15349 with 389 posts, Elena with 489 posts, Cjcorner with 143 posts, and Kerry with 909 posts! (almost ready for her rocking chair..hehehehee)

SO, Bruce, who won and what did she win??
    Congratulations to Cjcorner - Connie!
    She wins the Blc. Campobello 'Mendenhall' orchid plant - just because she is a member of our forum and participates in our community! (and lucky enough to get her name drawn out of the cup first )The reason I choose this plant and not one of the other two is because this is the healthiest one of the three and has two new growths!

Please PM your mailing address to me to accept the prize! Thanks to all of our members for being here and a special thanks to Katie (desertgal) for the donation of the prize plant!

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

Are you serious?? I was going to enter, but none of my orchid pals actually go on a computer! lol Cool Thanx...just let me know what you need.
    Thanx
    Connie

Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Whoohioo!! congrats, Connie!

Thanks, Katie!

Tami

Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them!
    Member's Country Flag

Congrats!!!

Wahoo! Nice job, Connie!

And special thanks to Katie, Clyde, and Boo, for thinking so much about growing our wonderful community! You three certainly add to the richness of our experience!

UP THE FORUM!

McJulie

Real Name
    Cin
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Yeah Connie !!! Thanks Katie !!!

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Congrats Connie, and thanks Katie!

I tried to get my young cousin to join just before he went on a trip to China and did not meet the criteria for the contest since he had no posts. I am guessing something to protect the forum from spam kept him from posting or he did not do it correctly. He is just beginning to enjoy orchids (and very young too, will be one of the youngest members) and grows phals but pictures of lycastes seem to be the most attractive to him. Maybe when he gets back from China he will introduce himself (he might be too shy though), but I will then be in Europe Anyway he has a obvious growing curiousity to these plants