Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: How to Post Photos 101

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Default How to Post Photos 101

Hey folks!

I know there has been a lot of questions about how to post a photo in a message. I will try to explain it. If someone else can make it more clear, feel free!

Okay the first way is to simply upload your image to the OrchidTalk server.

1. Create or reply to a post
    2. Add whatever text you wish to include
    3. Click on "Manage Attachments"
    4. A pop-up window will open and will give you a blank text box with a button that says "Browse" -Click on that button and locate the file you wish to upload.
    5. Once you have the file selected click "Upload"
    6. Finish any additional text in your message and then hit "Submit"
    --That's it!

The second way, and lately the more confusing way is through html. Here is how it is done:

3. Type the following in order: Put the letters "IMG" without the ""'s in square brackets. The brackets are located next to the "P" on your keyboard.
    4. next type in the http location of your file
    5. Finally using the brackets again type "/IMG" without the ""'s
    -there should be no space between any of the text or brackets
    6. Finish any additional text in your message and then hit "Submit"
    --That's it!

-note: be sure to include the "http://www." with your image location on the Internet.

Cheers & happy postings!
    Brutal_Dreamer

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Hey, I just figured out something that will make posting a photo the second way easier!

3. Click on the little square icon with the photograph of a mountain on it
    4. This will open a small pop-up window
    5. Type the http address in the pop-up window
    6. Click on "OK"
    7. Finish your text and hit "SUBMIT"

I sure hope this helps!

Cheers!
    Brutal_Dreamer

Real Name
    Janet Saucier
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal., Den., Onc. & mini Catt
    Member's Country Flag

Yes BD........concerning the last way to post a photo, could you please tell me where I can find the http address in order to send a photo. As you can tell, I'm also a computer novice also. I can send a picture along with an email but do not know how to post it to this website. I doubt that I am the only one having this problem ????? Thanks for your help. As we all know a picture is worth 1,000 words. Janet (janagolf)

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Janagolf View Post
    Yes BD........concerning the last way to post a photo, could you please tell me where I can find the http address in order to send a photo. As you can tell, I'm also a computer novice also. I can send a picture along with an email but do not know how to post it to this website. I doubt that I am the only one having this problem ????? Thanks for your help. As we all know a picture is worth 1,000 words. Janet (janagolf)

If your photos are on-line somewhere already, you can link the photo by using the mountain icon in the bb-code panel above the message window. See the following photos for examples:

Imgae Icon: (In the photo below, the icon image is a mountain. We have updated the image to a tree: now.)
    Name:  button.gif
Views: 5368
Size:  9.4 KB

If you use Fire-Fox Browser pushing the Image Icon will bring up this field to enter the http address of your image:
    Name:  firefox.gif
Views: 5515
Size:  7.2 KB

If you use Internet Explorer, pushing the image Icon will bring up this field to enter the http address of your image:
    Name:  ie.gif
Views: 5392
Size:  14.6 KB

To use the Image Icon , you must have already placed your photos on the internet somewhere. They cannot be on your personal computer. If they are on your personal computer, then you will need to upload them as shown in the video.

If your images are not the correct size, you can download the Image Resizer for windows.

Read the instruction for the image resizer on this page.

FOR WINDOWS VISTA: Free image resizer for VISTA

OR -- simply use this free image resizer online: Resize your images online

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Default How to post photos from Flickr and Photobucket on the PC

FLICKR(Scroll down for Photobucket)
    It is easy to post a photo from your flickr photostream.

1. Using Fire Fox Browser, go to your flicker page that has the photo you want to share. For my example I have chosen a photo from OrchidTalk's Flickr page. Max | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. While on the page, right click in the white area of the page (not the image) and choose "View Page Info"

3. A popup window opens that will have some tabs. Choose the "Media Tab" by clicking on it.

4. Select the first link in the list under this tab by clicking on it one time. You will notice in the window of this popup that you get a
    preview of the images on the page. Using your down arrow key, click the down arrow until the image you want to share appears in the window. In my example this would be:
    http:// farm4.static.flickr.com/ 3416/5765778375_3e02345c07_z. jpg

5. Finally, to share in the forum, take the new URL of the exact image and put the image code around it like this:
    [img]http:// farm4.static.flickr.com/ 3416/5765778375_3e02345c07_z. jpg[/img]

6. This will create the photo in our forum like this:

7. Please remember that our server saves a copy of this photo and that we do not allow back links to these commercial sites.

PHOTOBUCKET

It is really easy to post a photo from your photobucket photostream.

1. Using Fire Fox Browser, go to your photobucket page that has the photo you want to share. For this example we will use the OrchidTalk Photobucket page: OrchidTalk On Photobucket

2. While on the page, right click on the image and choose "View image"

3. The image will open by itself in the browser window.

4. Select the URL in the address bar at the top of the page. This will be a direct link to the photo and not the photo's page on Photobucket. http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/OrchidTalk/6c006c08-832b-4080-991b-3142a03e9695_zps00ba5326 jpg

5. Finally, to share in the forum, take the new URL of the exact image and put the image code around it like this:
    [img]http://i1364 photobucket.com/albums/r738/ OrchidTalk/6c006c08-832b-4080-991b-3142a03e9695_zps00ba5326. jpg[/img]

6. This will create the photo in our forum like this:

7. Please remember that our server saves a copy of this photo and that we do not allow back links to these commercial sites.

Alternatively, if you don't have Firefox, simply click on the DIRECT image link in the box as in the photo below. Enter this into the pop-up here on OrchidTalk to post your photo without the back link.
    Name:  photobucket.jpg
Views: 3493
Size:  288.9 KB

Please also remember to only post up to 4 (four) photos in a single post. Some people still access the forum through slower internet connections. More than four images causes their page to load very slowly. RESPECT!

Good luck.!

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Default Posting Photos Via Smart Phone

Posting photos from your mobile phone is even easier! Here are the steps to post a photo from your Flikr photostream:

1. visit your Flickr page on your smart phone browser & login to your account. (I use opera browser for my windows phone.)

2. next, view your photostream

3. find the photo you want to post & tap/hold on it until a menu pops up.

4. select 'open image'

5. when the image displays, copy the url and go to OrchidTalk

6. post your image using the opening image code [img] your image url and the closing image code [/img]

using the same image as in the previous post, get:

cheers,
    BD
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Thumbs up Posting Photos from Mac computer (iPhoto)

Maura originally posted these instructions and I thought I would share them here for those looking for this information.

If using a Mac and iPhoto:

1) Select a photo
    2) Click on File
    3)Click on Export
    4) When the export window comes up, you have to change the size of the image - Choose Custom, then replace 1000 with 700 (that's the max for OT photos)
    5) I usually have named my photos by the time I export them, so I also change the default setting from Use Filename to Use Title - that way, I know which photo I'm selecting later - for instance, I'd call something Yellow Leaves 3.10.12, or something like that. Then click Export
    6) When the next window comes up, you can simply have the photo go into your general Pictures file, or you can make a new folder to break them down - I usually click on new folder, name that something relevant, and then click Export.

7) Now go back to your thread and click on Go Advanced at the bottom of the Reply Post. That brings up a window for your OrchidTalk photos. In the top right corner, click on Add Files.
    8) Then click on Select Files
    9) That will bring you to your Mac Picture files, where you can highlight the photo you want to add- click on the photo highlighted and it will appear in the window at the top right.
    10) At the bottom of that small screen, clickl on Upload Files
    11) You will see your photo in icon size added to the general list at the top, but also at the bottom, marked with a blue x in the box.
    12) Click on Insert Files Inline, or whatever it says, then click Done.

13) This will return you to your draft reply post and it will show up as [Attachment xyz].
    14) Type in whatever you want to say about the photo in the draft, bearing in mind that the attachment will appear as a photo wherever it appears in your draft - i.e., if you type your post AFTER the attachment, the photo will show up before your comments on this. Cut and paste so that things are arranged the way you want them.
    15) Click on Preview Post, to see what it will look like. Make any changes you want on the draft part towards the bottom of the page, and then click Submit Post

(Thanks to Maura for the instructions for iPhoto)
    cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Cool Posting photos with your Mobile Phone Update 6-18-16

We've added a way for our mobile users to quickly snap a photo using their phone or tablet and upload it to the community using tinypic.

When you start a new thread or reply to a post, below the SUBMIT button you will see this:
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1870
Size:  130.8 KB

Click where it says RESIZE and choose MESSAGE BOARD

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1940
Size:  132.5 KB

Then, locate your photo on your device or take a new photo with your device. Make sure you see the choice MESSAGE BOARD in the drop-down option. If you do, hit UPLOAD and wait until you see your image and a URL for that image.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1953
Size:  140.3 KB

Now, tap once the rectangle and it will select the URL of the image. Hold down over the selected URL and you should get a copy / cut menu on your mobile device. Choose either copy or cut. Then, paste your selected text (the URL) into your message where you would like your image to appear. I found when testing it is better to write out my message, then upload my image and paste the url into the message.
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  139.1 KB

I hope this makes posting images via your mobile device easier.

Cheers,
    BD