Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: physan resistance

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default physan resistance

so i mentioned this in my 'web-like stuff' thread, but i figured that starting this new one might get a better response...

what do you all think about bacteria/fungus getting resistant to the use of one topical anti-bacterial/-fungal treatment on a regular basis? do you alternate with different kinds of chemicals?

has anyone encountered bacterial rot that wouldnt go away no matter *what* you treated it with? after all, there are bacteria in hospitals that dont die even if treated with bleach!

I'm curious - I know Louis does, but how many others treat their plants with something like Physan on a regular basis as a preventative measure?

Default I use Physan with each fert...

It is both a good preventative and a spreader/sticker. I use Cleary's as directed and there is a fungicide in the Orthenex product I use. Cleary's labeling says not to use it more than twice in succession to prevent resistant strains. If I think more needs to be done, I have Captan--especially for the phals.

I would not rely on Physan to treat an active situation.

I grow my collection outside, so Florida rains and humidity can cause rot crisis if not kept in check. I've found a consistent, proactive approach works for me.

What about inside growers? Are there concerns with pets and kids?

I just got a bottle of Physan and I'm not sure how to use it, either. If I should be using it regularly, how often and what dilution? Why do you use Cleary's instead of Physan, Floofy?

I know some commercial growers that put it in weak solution with every watering. I have heard nothing about plants building tolerances to it.

Default Cleary's v. Physan

Physan is a general anti-fungal that is very popular...you can really use it for a great many things besides orchids. I use a carefully measured, scientific dose of a capful in my 2 gallon sprayer as I fertilize . I pour some in my ponds to keep them clean, I use it to scrub the poarch, etc. If you've ever read the leaflet that comes with it :check: , you'd think it could cure AIDS virus.

I find it to be useful as a preventative, not as a solution. It also does a nice job as a spreader/sticker.

Cleary's 3336 is a systemic, meaning it actually enters the plant's cells, to do it's thing. It is a different approach--the Physan remains on the surface. I suppose Physan would be good for very mild cases that haven't really gotten a grip on the plant.

There are those that follow more natural approaches to their plant care. That is fine for them. I am more aggressive when dealing with something that could wipe out a plant I paid big dollars for in a climate that can wipe out a collection within weeks. Cleary's 3336 is recommended in the AOS Pests and Disease booklet and is widely used in S Florida. It works for me, so I recommend it.

So, not to overstate the obvious, but physan can be used with each fertilizing as preventative, but if there's a problem with a fungal infection, get Cleary's? Does Cleary's do anything for bacterial problems?

Liz, this is my opinion and what has worked for me. I have a greater risk of fungal and bacterial problems than people living in the northeast or in Arizona. I grow outside in S Florida where it can rain every day for six weeks! Humidity can be over 80% for months!

You should evaluate your risks and make decisions from those parameters. If you feel you have a high risk of fungal/bacterial problems due to lack of air circulation, no amount of chemical is going to solve that--increase your air circulation instead of buying more chemicals.

If you have external risk factors, as I have, you may want to think about setting up a preventative schedule.

I agree with the floofinator. most copper based products will kill any bacteria, fungus you have. Copper based products are very nasty stuff but if you have large collections, it is a must to get rid of the rot and then start the periodical treatments with Physan. I have never used Cleary's but I hear it works well and is much less toxic than the other sprays out there. the toxicity is only when it is wet and you breath it or get it on you skin. Like most pesticides a little should not hurt but it's better safe than sorry.