Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Questions about the orchid forum

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Yvonne
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Spider orchids
    Member's Country Flag

Default Questions about the orchid forum

Hello. I am a new member and also new to orchids. I have a couple of questions.

1. How to I find exactly where, on this forum, to post a question. e.g. this one, about hydroculture. (Semi-Hydro Culture: What is it?)

2. I have read a number of threads which mention semi hydroculture, its advantages and disadvantages, but I haven't found it described anywhere.
    Is there an article or a thread on the forum which gives full details - or is there another web site where I could find out more?

3. When someone replies to a question on a thread, is an email notification sent to the originator, or is it necessary to keep checking if there have been replies?

Thanks in advance, and excuse my naivity.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vandas, Catts, Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Hi

there is loads of information in the following section of the forum:

http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchid...s-accessories/. You can find all the different sections by clicking on the "Enter the OrchidTalk Orchid Forums link on the front page, which you will find just below the slideshow. This lists all the different forums, then when you click on an individual forum it will show you all the threads under that forum.

There has been quite a lot of debate and along with ideas of which plants suit S/H, there is a good repotting pictorial that explains exactly what it is and how it is done.

212-switching-semi-hydro-repotting-pictorial.html

There's no way you'd catch me trying to explain it, because there are much more suitable people out there, who know way more! But I know how daunting it can be when you want to find out information and just don't know where to start

As to your last question, no you don't get an email notifcation, but there is the facility to see new posts under the New Posts link at the top, and you can easily see if someone has responded. I think you can subscribe to the thread under your User Specs - click on User CP to fund the subscriptions section, but Brutal Dreamer is the better person to answer this question.

I hope this helps a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    As to your last question, no you don't get an email notifcation, but there is the facility to see new posts under the New Posts link at the top, and you can easily see if someone has responded. I think you can subscribe to the thread under your User Specs - click on User CP to fund the subscriptions section, but Brutal Dreamer is the better person to answer this question.
    You can set your user preferences to automatically subscribe to a thread that you start or reply to. This subscription will then send you an email when there is a response to the thread.

As an alternative you can also use the Thread Tools option, which is at the top of the post (not top of page) to manually subscribe to a thread with the same results.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vandas, Catts, Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Ta Steven for clarifying that - I'm definintely still finding out things you can do on the forum

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Ok, Kerry and Steven are hired!

Quote Originally Posted by ydbc
    1. How to I find exactly where, on this forum, to post a question. e.g. this one, about hydroculture.

2. I have read a number of threads which mention semi hydroculture, its advantages and disadvantages, but I haven't found it described anywhere.
    Is there an article or a thread on the forum which gives full details - or is there another web site where I could find out more?

3. When someone replies to a question on a thread, is an email notification sent to the originator, or is it necessary to keep checking if there have been replies?

Thanks in advance, and excuse my naivity.
    1. For now, use this link to see a full listing of the forums: Orchid Forum List Once you have over 5 - 7 posts, check out the RVO Orchid Forum Toolbar for FireFox Browsers. If you use FireFox as your web browser, this toolbar makes navigation in the forum a snap! If you use IE or some other browser, you will still have to learn the link locations to find your way around, but it is not that difficult.

2. After a few posts, lots of features become available to you. One is the glossary. It selects words inside posts and makes them into links that will have the definitions that are clickable and link to the glossary. But the TAGs feature is probably the best way to find information since each post can be tagged with 'topics'. As far as semi-hydro, or S/H for short, the thread Kerry mentions is great. There is also an article in our library, and on our USEFUL LINKS page, there are links to additional resources.

3. Your USER CP (User Control Panel) is where you can set up automatic subscriptions. Follow Steven's advice if you would like to subscribe to a particular thread that you have not responded to, and set up automatic thread subscriptions for the threads you post in by selecting that radio button in your User CP.

OVER ALL ADVICE: Be sure to read the sticky threads here in the USING THE BOARDS section of the forum. And please know that everyone who post here on a regular basis loves to help. We are that type of group. Just ask your questions and before long you will be among the ones answering questions too!

Cheers,
    BD

OK BD, I want my salary doubled too!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post
    check out the RVO Orchid Forum Toolbar for FireFox Browsers. If you use FireFox as your web browser, this toolbar makes navigation in the forum a snap! If you use IE or some other browser, you will still have to learn the link locations to find your way around, but it is not that difficult.
    And just so you know ydbc, even though I have nearly 750 posts I just learned something NEW!!!!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoOrchid View Post
    And just so you know ydbc, even though I have nearly 750 posts I just learned something NEW!!!!

Cheers,
    BD