Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: New computer, internet, & problems

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Angie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Default New computer, internet, & problems

We just got a new computer and at the same time switched from dial-up to wireless. Since then I've had problems using this site. I'll log in, but when I try to click on "New Posts", it will tell me I need to log in or register. Also, for many of the threads, I am unable to see the pictures, and if I try to reply to a thread, it takes several tries before I'm permitted to and don't get the screen asking me to log in again.

Does this sound like a problem with my internet connection, or do I have to change some setting on my computer? Any ideas?

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ang709 View Post
    We just got a new computer and at the same time switched from dial-up to wireless. Since then I've had problems using this site. I'll log in, but when I try to click on "New Posts", it will tell me I need to log in or register. Also, for many of the threads, I am unable to see the pictures, and if I try to reply to a thread, it takes several tries before I'm permitted to and don't get the screen asking me to log in again.

Does this sound like a problem with my internet connection, or do I have to change some setting on my computer? Any ideas?
    The login issue is from your internet settings. You need to enable 'cookies' in your browser. Once you do that, the forum puts a 'cookie' on your machine that tells the forum that you are logged into the forum. When you click 'log out' the cookie is cleared from your browser's cache and you will have to login again to access the forum.

The other issue may be a java-script issue or it could be an internet provider issue. There is not a function that blocks images. Even guest can see images when they visit the site. Some of the functions require Java-script to be enabled. These are mostly functions and links throughout the site. Try turning these settings on and see if that helps.

What browser are you using? OrchidTalk is designed to be used by FIREFOX, but Internet Explorer, Opera, and Safari browsers are all compatible.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Angie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

We made the changes, and it's working now. Thank you very much!

Real Name
    Richard
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Oncs, Neos, Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Bruce, one time when I used the IE instead of FireFox by accident I couldn't see the pictures in "Roots and all -- Repotting by photos" by Sara. I just checked it by killing the cookies in EI and the "Roots and all -- Repotting by photos" doesn't link-up to the pictures (maybe they are located in a member only area) the other two articles at the top are okay. Just wanted to let you know.
    Last edited by Phyrex; August 6th, 2007 at 10:59 PM.

Real Name
    John
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Cymbidium
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Bruce,

I just wanted to chime in: When I read the threads from a friend's computer and I was logged in, I cannot see the pictures.
    All I see are the original URLs and when I click it I am sent to the login screen.

I think I also used IE on that computer since he did not have Firefox.

Anyway, I have not tinkered with it much since I usually only go to the RVO forums from my own computer and use Firefox.

~John

Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them!
    Member's Country Flag

My mom had the same difficulty with my article. She isn't a registered member, uses dial-up and Firefox. (I honestly thought it was a members-only issue.)

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vandas, Catts, Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

If it's any help - I use IE and don't have any problems. There have been a couple of articles that I had trouble seeing images on, but I just assumed that was to do with the internet connection and downloading the images. I know that in the past where there have been a large amount of linked photos in a post I have had real problems seeing them, but again have put that down to the amount of info that is needed to be downloaded.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Hi All,

The only way that images will not be displayed is if they are in a member's only area. I did not look at Sara's article, but if she linked them from images posted in a member's only area, then only logged in members would be able to see them.

That said, I am still learning too. All images in public forums and in the articles (that have the images uploaded to the article and not linked from another website or from a thread on RVO that is in the member's only area) should display in all the 'standard' browsers for guests.

If someone has a specific issue, please post a link here in this thread to the area where the photo doesn't show up. Be sure to let me know:

1. What browser you are using.
    2. If you are a guest at the time of viewing or if you are logged into the forum.
    3. Exactly what image is not showing. To find out, right click the image placeholder (a red x in IE usually) and an empty box in FIREFOX. Select "view image" and then copy the URL from your browser's display bar. Paste that image link along with the link of the article or thread that is giving you trouble.

With that information, I should be able to recreated the problem. And if so, I should be able to either fix it (if it is a problem) or explain it if it is not.

Cheers,
    BD

Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them!
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post
    The only way that images will not be displayed is if they are in a member's only area. I did not look at Sara's article, but if she linked them from images posted in a member's only area, then only logged in members would be able to see them.
    Nope. Actually, I uploaded each photo to avoid future problems with linked photos.