Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bare Root Plants

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Rebecca Luce
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya!!
    Member's Country Flag

That's crazy!!! I can't believe someone would have the nerve to send something like that...are they out of their minds??

Shaydra, if you need recommendations of good vendors, PM me (or any of us) and we'd be glad to share so that something like this doesn't happen again :-( Good vendors usually cost a little bit more, but might as well pay it for the peace-of-mind of knowing you're getting something of quality and it has been shipped carefully.

~B

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

I know who it is, and avoid him like the plague ,never ordered from him and won't.
    I read about his process that was enough . I would not leave a good word for him . Good luck getting him to make it good ..If on a credit card dispute the charges, also anywhere else you can (hint hint) . Gin

Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them!
    Member's Country Flag

Ooh, good point Gin. I'll have to look... but I think that he might have gone thru paypal, so that might be harder... I'll definitely look into disputing the charges for this one. Thanks for the support.. and Ken.. Yes. That's who it is.

Still... disappointing. I thought it was overkill with the amount of treatment the plant went through prior to shipping, but on the other side, I could see how this could be a good thing.... At least you don't get pests.

These will probably end up my first fatalities... if I can save them, I'm sure they will not bloom for quite some time.

Real Name
    Clint M. Dawley
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

It's never a good thing to completely dry out orchids like that. At this point they become the every fussy and slow growing "saves" vs. a nice plant with roots that will continue to grow for you.

I'd rather fight scale on a new plant than deal with rehydration, spag and bag or whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by Shaydra View Post
    Ooh, good point Gin. I'll have to look... but I think that he might have gone thru paypal, so that might be harder... I'll definitely look into disputing the charges for this one. Thanks for the support.. and Ken.. Yes. That's who it is.

Still... disappointing. I thought it was overkill with the amount of treatment the plant went through prior to shipping, but on the other side, I could see how this could be a good thing.... At least you don't get pests.

These will probably end up my first fatalities... if I can save them, I'm sure they will not bloom for quite some time.

Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them!
    Member's Country Flag

Given the extent of the "treatment"... what do you think may be the best course of action? I've cut the rotten roots from both plants and have stakes holding them upright in nothing but bark mix right now, which is only slightly moist by now.

Should I put a little spag around the rhizome area and treat them like I am with my Slc Mine Gold 'Corona' that I've been nursing?

Real Name
    Clint M. Dawley
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

For divisions or plants that need nursing...I treat them like mounties...without mounting them.

I just put them in my growing area and dunk them once or twice a day and place them back (in good humidity - 60-70 percent). I've had really good luck nursing catts like this..(I wouldn't recommend this if your humidity is low. Or, you can just put the plant in a terrarium or aquarium or plastic bag as is and be careful not to fry it.

For me, it's better to see the rhizome as the new roots form. When new roots are about 1/2" long, you can pot the plant up then.

I

Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them!
    Member's Country Flag

I've only got about 45-50% humidity in the apt right now... But in the next couple days I should be able to get that up for a little while by opening the windows. Maybe I'll try starting this outside since the high temps are supposed to go back into the mid-80s after today.

Now... to start the process of disputing charges....

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

Wow, i have several of this persons plants growing nicely. Only lost one of bills so far myself. Was shocked you have had so much trouble. Other than a broken spike on one plant almost all from him are thriving, even my babies. Hmm...
    Connie

Real Name
    Richard
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Oncs, Neos, Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Sorry to be so persistent but can we do something about warning others for these kind of vendors within the rules of the forum? I for one have been searching for vendor review sites for a while but couldn't find any besides just finding discussions on single vendors.

Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them!
    Member's Country Flag

That is one drawback to the no-advertising policy... and I can understand that... There have been times when I'd like to post "has anyone had any experience with X vendor, please PM me" but....

Rules are rules.