Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: *sigh* Vanda withdrawl...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Kelly
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandas and Catts

Default *sigh* Vanda withdrawl...

So, I saw a small Vanda with yellow flowers at the store last week...I told myself not to get it though, because Vandas intimidate me with their cultural needs. I even went back for it a couple of days later but by the time I got there the same feelings came...so I walked away from it and let stay there. I'm having some withdrawl from it though, and kind of wish I would've gotten it...I mean it's not everyday you see any orchids besides phals where I live, let alone a Vanda. It was so cute and small, too...would've fit perfectly. I just don't have a greenhouse, and couldn't leave it outside because winter days here in Texas do drop in the 30s quite often. Even so, if I went back I'm sure it wouldn't still be there...but for future reference, did I make a mistake in straying away from it?

Real Name
    Richard
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Oncs, Neos, Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

I know what you mean, but if it really doesn't work at your place it might not have meant to be.
    It's pretty much the same here, all stores have phals and nothing else unless of course you're willing to drive at least an hour. When I did find one that had cattleyas I bought two when I should have bought all the different ones they had (prolly 3-4) because the week after they were all gone.
    Now don't even go in anymore and just order online because it's just not worth the brain seizures (or withdrawal I guess).

Well, what you experienced is like buyer remorse, wanting something, wanting to buy yet hesitating due to myriad of reasons ... I have had plenty but I tend to get over them quickly. You are still very young, there will be plenty of opportunities in the future to get something even better and even more of them ... So cheer up and lust after another orchid, will you?

Cheers. Hoa.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

You did good. If you know you cannot provide the correct culture for the plant, then it is best you did not get that particular one. Like Hoa said "...there will be plenty of opportunities in the future..." I agree!

Cheers,
    BD

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis cymbidium dendrob

I am like this with clothes! I reckon if I go back and a) I still like it, or b) it's still there, then I'm meannt to have it! But then you can't kill clothes! Judi

Real Name
    Kelly
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandas and Catts

Haha...Oh, clothes are definitely my first love. But NOT buying clothes just doesnt even register in my mind. It's a fact of life, a necessity, clothes are my air. lmao But true...you, indeed, can't kill a sweater. But if the Vanda would've ended up dying, I would've blamed it! It should have known what it was getting itself into just sitting there when I, of all people, walk by. Besides, I don't think it would've died if I got it, probably just would hardly (if ever) flower...which is a much better deal than the inevitable fate it had ahead of it, a) being overwatered to death, b) being picked up by some stupidass who intends to plunk it in garden soil.

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis cymbidium dendrob

I feel your pain! Judi

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal Vanda Aer Angrm Catts

Such self-control! It took me a couple of miltoniopsis purchases early on to realize that although I love how they look, they do NOT love me. I can't keep my house humid and cool enough for them.

So I either have to purchase really inexpensive ones--and write them off as cheaper and/or longer lasting than cut flowers or walk away. So, I admire your self-control. BTW I HAVE seen some very nice, flat yellow phals that might just fill that hole in your orchid shelf AND grow in your conditions.

Real Name
    Jerry
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Minis
    Member's Country Flag

I don't think that you made a mistake by not buying that plant. If you don't have a greenhouse, vandas can be a lot of trouble because they need high humidity and misting every day. This can be a lot of work to grow and bloom a single plant. There will be many other opportunities that will be more rewarding.