Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Restrepia striata photo

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Default Restrepia striata photo

Some might ask what the @$^* I am doing with a restrepia...especially those who know my general disdain for botanicals and other plants with small flowers. But Jane sent me a piece of her restrepia with the neos, and it is similar to masdies, of which I have a few...so...I potted it up in clay/moss and stuck it in with the masdies.

This species is a TOTAL weed. Summer has been in full swing for a while here (read: hot, humid, generally nasty weather & temps), and this plant must have put out a dozen flowers in the past month. very short-lived, probably due to the temps, but quite attractive I must admit. Even if it is _small_. Apologies for photo quality. I have reached the outer limits of my camera, zoom & macro on this one aren't built for restrepia flowers it seems.

nice Jason. I like these ones. I would say that this one will lead to others, but I know better.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I like them too, especially the curve of that lip. We only have one masdie because it's so hard to keep things cool enough here in the summer, but if we could, we'd have a lot more--they take up hardly any space and I think the blooms really invite you in for a closer look.

Aha Jason --I didn't know your plant dislikes but you must admit that it at least blooms!!My plant is in a 3" clay pot which I originally potted it in years ago.That is sitting in another 4" pot & I hang it on a screen in greenhouse with other plants.There is absolutely no medium left what-so-ever in the pot.I just keep tearing off hunks every so often.It's the sz of a large cantalope.Every so often I've got to remove seedpods which form really easily.

It is pretty cute! Really looks like a person to me. In a weird way - another h one I think! But with deformed little teeny arms....haha.

Anyway, my two masdies are putting out a ton of leaves and seem much happier since I re-potted in sphag, so that's good. I like them because their small nature fits in among the slippers!

Mine is thriving well too, dispite the lack of summer here. Matter of fact, it is starting to throw out a bunch of new leaves/ growth. I am growing quite fond of this little thing.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by L I Jane
    Aha Jason --I didn't know your plant dislikes but you must admit that it at least blooms!!My plant is in a 3" clay pot which I originally potted it in years ago.That is sitting in another 4" pot & I hang it on a screen in greenhouse with other plants.There is absolutely no medium left what-so-ever in the pot.I just keep tearing off hunks every so often.It's the sz of a large cantalope.Every so often I've got to remove seedpods which form really easily.
    Jane, my aversion to botanicals isn't absolute--I just meant that some who know me might think it very unusual that I would even have a botanical...and actually like it! It's a very distinctive bloom!