Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: CFL Testing Results

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cyms
    Member's Country Flag

Default CFL Testing Results

I've been thinking about putting this information out for some time. Is there a big interest?
    I'll take suggestions on what to test, but I'm going to be limited by cost and availability (and I don't exactly need dozens of bulbs). Not sure if anyone will take me up on this but if you want me to test something specific you can mail it to me, I'll test it, and mail it back to you.

Results
    Readings taken with Sper Scientific 840022.
    Readings taken at 1-inch from the center of the bulb.
    All bulbs tested with basic boxstore brand reflector.
    Bulbs were allowed to warm up for 2+ hrs. before testing.

Results:
    N:vision 27w Cool Blue: 850 Fc
    N:vision 27w Natural Light: 1000 Fc
    Ott-lite 17w: 210 Fc

Comments: I tested the n:vision bulbs because they are inexpensive and available at a boxstore.

Gear

Comparison of 27w n:vision bulbs (natural light on the left):

Real Name
    Clint M. Dawley
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

You are so scientific. I think you captured the reason why guys like to grow orchids--they are a big lab experiment (for me as well). I mean..pretty flowers are cool, but tweeking light and growing conditions and watching the results is cooler (at least to me).

27 W is about right for growing phals. You need the big guns for catts and vandas. 100 W CFLs rock!

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cyms
    Member's Country Flag

Clint- Thanks for the kind words. I believe those bulbs are rated "100w equivalent", though their actual watt consumption is only 27w. While there doesn't seem to be too much interest in these result I will continue to test and post in this thread...sometimes this board seems to move and change as slowly as the orchids but I'll have more soon.

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks for taking the time do these experiments. One of the things about growing orchids is about playing around with the growing environment and lighting certainly plays a big part in it.

I don't really grow indoors, so I'm definitely not one of the target audience. However, there are many others who do grow inside and i bet, even if they are not posting they are reading the posts. Looks like the thread has been viewed about 70 times! (I can't believe it's more popular than my Paph Ho Chi Minh thread )

So, thanks for contributing to the knowledge on this forum.... it's part of what makes this place very special!

cheers
    pop

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.

Thanks for doing this study, the information is quite helpful to me. I live in NJ and have brought my orchids indoors for the winter. Built a stand and am using a 125 watt cfl 6400k, it's supposed to be the equivalent of 8 4' tubes. Because my dendrobium and renanthera are close to 30" tall, the light is about 2' feet away from all of my other orchids. One of my oncidiums is in spike while my other shows no new growth. I also have 2 phals, one is growing while the ohter shows ne new growth. Do you think I need another light?

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cyms
    Member's Country Flag

JK- There is really no way (ok, it's pretty hard) of knowing how much light you are getting at with that wattage at that range. Light intensity decreases exponentially as you move away from the source. I never realized how much the difference mattered until I got my meter. I find it easier to move the plants than the lights, but that's a matter of your setup.

My meter was about $90, but there are meters on the market that would work just fine for less than $30.