Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

View Poll Results: I would rather..

Voters
408. You may not vote on this poll
  • get a seedling and grow it to blooming size and know that I have bloomed it because of my care

119 29.17%
  • get a near blooming size orchid and care for / bloom it

153 37.50%
  • get an orchid in bud and let it bloom for me in a few days

71 17.40%
  • get an orchid in bloom - no time for waiting

36 8.82%
  • get silk/ plastic orchid blooms - who has the time to bloom 'real orchids' hehe...

3 0.74%
  • other - tell us

26 6.37%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Orchid Patience

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Not sure
    Member's Country Flag

I am learning a LOT of patience....and to NOT worry when things dont happen when I think they should. What do I know? I am new.
    I have had 2 orchids that were potted together both phals. They were VERY crowded this fall after the blooms FINALLY quit...bloomed months...guess they like what I do whatever that is.
    But I am afraid the smaller and different colored orchid misses his buddy? Can they? I dunno.
    So I been watching as the bigger one spiked immediately. But the smaller one has taken 3 months after re-potting to even begin a spike. How do I tell a spike from a root?...
    I love them and talk to the two of them each day. I put them back side by side in my southern window on a ledge where they liked to be...maybe should get rid of bowl under them on plastic pot? they keep losing the bottom leaf...grow new ones but seems like leaf numbers are the same...............sigh I just dunno what they want....worrier

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Seedlings take a long time to wait for them to bloom, but sometimes that is all that is available in the types I prefer. I like NBS since they have a chance to adjust to my conditions. I would absolutely hate to get a rare beautiful (and expensive) orchid, and just have it die because it is not compatible with my conditions.

Real Name
    Cheryl
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Not sure
    Member's Country Flag

What is a NBS? sorry VERY new...all I know so far are phals or Moth Orchids of which I have 2 a white and a yellow with red viens...just JUSST got 4 small Rock Orchids and will learn these next...How long you been doing Orchids?

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

NBS = near blooming size

Real Name
    Elio
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum, Phragmipedium
    Member's Country Flag

For me it is important not only blooming, but it is of great satisfaction the sprouting of a new bulb, a new leaf growth, but watch the growth of my orchid, my rare and expensive, when you can find them, I took a few centimeters or even in the flask, the prices are affordable; maybe it's because my real interest are the bonsai, where time does not count and it is cultivated x future generations, to wait years to see a flowering is normal, in the meantime, I appreciate every moment of growth.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cloud forest orchids

Most of mine are in a blooming size, this is what I choose usually when purchasing but I do have some young plants (1-3 years till blooming). I also buy the plants that still need 1 year to reach the blooming size, it's nice to see that they have thrived and liked my conditions and care enough to bother with blossoming!
    I do not buy anymore plants that need 3 or more years, I'm just not that good (and patient ) with so young babies (bad experience) so yeah blooming size or 1 year till blooming size over youngsters even if they cost more (but less in a long therm for me)!

What Near Blooming Size actually means? Is it like I wrote before - 1 year prior to blooming size or even less? Each orchid shop calls them differently.
    Last edited by theflowerbread; May 19th, 2016 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Another thought

Real Name
    Marcella Miller
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattelya
    Member's Country Flag

Having just received 4 seedlings, three ms and one nbs, I am scared to death of them!!! It's like taking care of a new-born. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt!. However, I have them now and I'll have to muddle my way through.

Real Name
    Tina
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All
    Member's Country Flag

If I had a choice to make I would choose all of the choices except the last one… I don’t like plastic or silk.

I am new to phals so what we have are all ones that were in bloom in a store, but down the road I hope to generate new plants from buds and get into that side of things. The ones from stores are typically planted in lousy orchid pots and with lousy medium and root issues, so I have repotted all of them, even though they are still in bloom. They have all responded well and none have dropped their blooms so far. :-)

Real Name
    Carol
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Catts, Onc. Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Fisker View Post
    I am new to phals so what we have are all ones that were in bloom in a store, but down the road I hope to generate new plants from buds and get into that side of things. The ones from stores are typically planted in lousy orchid pots and with lousy medium and root issues, so I have repotted all of them, even though they are still in bloom. They have all responded well and none have dropped their blooms so far. :-)
    Re-potting them is definitely the way to grow! Fortunately Phals are pretty easy to grow.

Do be aware that to get seedlings is a whole different story - it requires a lot of knowledge and sterile conditions to get the little ones started. In the wild they form a symbiotic relationship with a fungus that feeds them, so the seeds have no food storage and are tiny. To start them at home, they need to be removed from the seed pod (which mine have never formed in 40 years - they require hand pollination too!) in a sterile environment and put into sterile flasks with agar for nutrients and let to grow for years, gradually being moved up into larger and more separate dishes. It's a great idea and fun, but pretty complicated.

I just keep buying them and most of them get bigger and take up more space as they continue to grow! If they are happy, they'll usually bloom once a year.