Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

View Poll Results: I would rather..

Voters
408. You may not vote on this poll
  • get a seedling and grow it to blooming size and know that I have bloomed it because of my care

119 29.17%
  • get a near blooming size orchid and care for / bloom it

153 37.50%
  • get an orchid in bud and let it bloom for me in a few days

71 17.40%
  • get an orchid in bloom - no time for waiting

36 8.82%
  • get silk/ plastic orchid blooms - who has the time to bloom 'real orchids' hehe...

3 0.74%
  • other - tell us

26 6.37%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Orchid Patience

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Spock
    I vote "getting silk/ plastic orchid blooms"!!! Heheheeee, who has the time to bloom 'real 'chids' anyway ... so much work ... heheheee .. and just as pretty and stay "fresh" like "almost forever" ... DA BEST CHOICE ... heheheheee ...Doc Spock ...
    Quote Originally Posted by bench72 View Post
    You Sir, are the naughtiest!!!!
    I agree with the P.O.P. on this one Doc. You are the naughtiest!!! hehehehehe.... Especially since we have all seen your floof in your cattleya thread. (BTW -isn't it about time for some updates...heheheheh)

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Rita McWhorter
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Everyone of them
    Member's Country Flag

I tend to go for the nbs or bs also ,unless it's an orchid I'm having a difficult time finding, then I'll take a seedling.

Real Name
    Steve
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    just about all of them
    Member's Country Flag

I have absolutely no patience whatsoever, so I voted in bloom. I still get a buzz if I can get them to re-bloom tho

Real Name
    Giovanna Diliquay
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis Species.
    Member's Country Flag

Are ppl who buy seedlings too shy to admit that the value of a species seedling is always tempting enough to choose them over adolescent plants (nbs)? I know I am not, although I also prefer seedling to allow them to get accustomed to my growing conditions earlier on. I have found out that some bigger orchids seem to "stall" after their blooming season and that annoys me, as I then have to try and found out what I did wrong, whereas seedlings are much more adaptable.

My Grow Area
    On a Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Unimaginable to choose
    Member's Country Flag

Wink Prefer to buy seedlings

We live in a home now where we are very limited on where we can grow our orchids. We only have very old oaks in our yard with no lower hanging trees to hang our orchids from. Instead we have our orchids on the porch and they receive direct sunlight from about 3pm until dusk. We also live in Orlando, FL, so this is BRUTAL on our orchids.

So, long story short.....I prefer to buy the seedlings and grow them. We are having greater success in helping the orchids adapt to the harsh environment this way then if we buy them closer to blooming.

I can relate to the impatience part, but a thriving orchid is the most beautiful thing when you've had too many of them of die on you in the past.....

We are very lucky this year to have one in bloom so far and two more spiking right now! (Our ground orchids that are in potting soil have fortunately always bloomed for us)

The addition: he prefers to buy it close to blooming size. He says he's too impatient to wait too many years.
    Last edited by cag&jdgorchidcrzy; December 18th, 2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: My husband voted differently...FYI :)

- seedling and grow it to blooming if you know the parents (selected). By this way, you have a chance to have good shape and colours flowers. Seedling can also allow you to select more vigorous young orchids with a fast growing. But, if you do not know the parents, you can be lucky in lottery game but often disappointed. Seedling, you must be patient and be armed against diseases because young plants are more sensible to fungus, ..
    - generally I like division of known plants. By this way, no surprise on flowers and less time to wait
    - For example, cat. dowiana aurea, as a young plant, is very difficult to grow for beginners, because of fungus attacks. It’s better to take it nearly a blooming size to avoid lost it !

Real Name
    Lynda
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phals, paphs, oncs
    Member's Country Flag

This has turned out to be a really interesting poll Bruce. Who would have thought there would be such sharp differences of opinion among those we talk to all the time?!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks for the thanks, Lynda. I think it is really awesome that we are all so different and are brought together by our common interest. Every day when I am on the forum I feel like I am learning something new or at least a different way to do something or think about it. I really appreciate all of our differences and the fact that we all remain amicable with each other goes to show that we have respect for those differences. That is another aspect that makes this community so great.

Cheers,
    BD

It was an interesting poll, Bruce, but Doc Spock was certainly trolling for mischief...

McJulie

Real Name
    Howard
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything That Will Grow
    Member's Country Flag

For me it was a hard choice. The first two are what I'd pick because for me it is all in growing for the end result and the rewards that you did it yourself....that your knowledge and skill produced something of beauty.