Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: New Dend. medium

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Geoffrey Melton
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Like I could really choose...
    Member's Country Flag

Default New Dend. medium

I just purchased a Dend. lasianthera seedling, and I've never gotten a seedling before, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm wondering what kind of medium and container it will come in, and if I should repot it once it arrives. I don't even really know how big a seedling is. Also, if anyone has any advice on what kind of medium this dend would prefer, it would be welcomed. I believe Dend. lasianthera is in the spatulata section. Should I give a seedling any different/extra care or take any different/extra precautions? Thanks...

It totally depends on how small the seedling is. Seedling as a term can mean anything from just out of flask up to not quite near blooming size (NBS).

The smaller the critter, the less light and fert it will want. Basically you have to wean the young 'uns up to their adult dosages of light and fert.

If it's a smaller seedling, it's probably fine in whatever material it's already potted (note caveat about to follow!) The little guys haven't likely been in anything long enough to exhaust the medium. The rather big caveat is that the potting medium needs to be suited to your conditions.

The good news is that Dens like to dry out between waterings, and tend to be well suited to more open mixes, or mounting. If you're in a very cold (ie, dry) place in the winter, you might want to wrap bare roots in sheet moss or sphagnum moss. (Sheet moss is easier to deal with when wrapping mounted plants, even though it doesn't have the moisture retention of long-fiber New Zealand sphagnum.)

If you're not sure, post a photo when the tyke arrives and we can advise you further. Good luck with the new baby!

McJulie

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    It totally depends on how small the seedling is. Seedling as a term can mean anything from just out of flask up to not quite near blooming size (NBS).

The smaller the critter, the less light and fert it will want. Basically you have to wean the young 'uns up to their adult dosages of light and fert.

If it's a smaller seedling, it's probably fine in whatever material it's already potted (note caveat about to follow!) The little guys haven't likely been in anything long enough to exhaust the medium. The rather big caveat is that the potting medium needs to be suited to your conditions.

The good news is that Dens like to dry out between waterings, and tend to be well suited to more open mixes, or mounting. If you're in a very cold (ie, dry) place in the winter, you might want to wrap bare roots in sheet moss or sphagnum moss. (Sheet moss is easier to deal with when wrapping mounted plants, even though it doesn't have the moisture retention of long-fiber New Zealand sphagnum.)

If you're not sure, post a photo when the tyke arrives and we can advise you further. Good luck with the new baby!

McJulie
    Well said & good advice.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Geoffrey Melton
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Like I could really choose...
    Member's Country Flag

thanks, will do.