Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Flower Production

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Howard
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything That Will Grow
    Member's Country Flag

Default Flower Production

Sunday, I attended our local orchid society meeting. Lots of beautiful plants as many of you might expect at your society meetings. The speaker, a local commercial grower in Charlotte, Michigan, gave a talk about general orchid care. She mentioned that using Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate) increases size, quality and quantity of flowers. I wonder if she meant Phosphate? In the same breath, she stated she uses a "bloom bososter" fertilizer every time she waters....and didn't feel the Michigan State University formulation was worth using anymore...her opinion. I know there is probably NO correct answer to this issue, but I was wondering how others felt about what they "feed" their orchids and how it seems to affect the overall health of their plants? She also mentioned another product containing vitamins (you all may know the trade name) and she absolutely swore by it as better than sliced white bread! Well, at $140.00/gal it should be!!!!! Feedback?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

MSU fertilizer seems to be pretty great as far as I am concerned. We also use miracle grow and fish emulsion. We simply rotate so that we feed differently every few times we water.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Cindi
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Epsom salts are a good fertilizer for tomato plants in my garden. Probably give the same boost to orchid plants. I just wouldn't use as much of it! (Less is best)

Real Name
    Mary
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya William Farrell
    Member's Country Flag

Wow beautiful paphs.

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums.Odonts and alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post
    MSU fertilizer seems to be pretty great as far as I am concerned. We also use miracle grow and fish emulsion. We simply rotate so that we feed differently every few times we water.

Cheers,
    BD

I to use miracle grow but find it too high in nitrogen,so here is my concoction in parts and lacking in the potash.

3 X Valagro Plantafol 5.15.45
    1 X miracle grow
    1 X Urea
    1 X Epsom salts

The reasoning behind this concoction is :-
    the Plantafol has good Phosphorous and Potash but is low on the Nitrogen,hence the Urea.The Epsom salts are added due to a discussion that I had with an old tomato grower.His theory was,that we were wanting the same thing as a tomato grower,but not quite as far along the same track eg Fruit ,well seed pods.To get the flower and strong growth Potassium and Magnesium should be very close to the same level.

Real Name
    Howard
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything That Will Grow
    Member's Country Flag

So Orchid-Man, you don't put much merit to those who say urea based fertilzers don't work well with orchids because of the open style mix and therefor the lack of urea nitrogen converting bacteria????? Just a question of opinion.....

Real Name
    Marilyn
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrag -Vanda

What is the phrag in the top picture? It's beautiful.

I have used MSU fert for almost 4 years and I'm very pleased with the results. I do add Epsom Salts every couple of months and also add a couple drops of K-L-N per gallon every watering. That method works well for my conditions in my home, under lights.

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

I'm such a newbie....but mine love the fish emulsion, a bloom ratio type fertilizer and super thrive. I need to get some epsom salts too.
    connie

Real Name
    Howard
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything That Will Grow
    Member's Country Flag

I'm sorry but I just too pictures and didn't attach names to the faces....next time.

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums.Odonts and alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdoc5968 View Post
    So Orchid-Man, you don't put much merit to those who say urea based fertilzers don't work well with orchids because of the open style mix and therefor the lack of urea nitrogen converting bacteria????? Just a question of opinion.....
    When feeding orchids consider how and where they grow naturally.As most grow some feet above the ground attached to a tree or the likes ,just how much fertilizer are they going to get and what is the likely NPK ratio?
    The most common fert they are going to get will be bird poop,what would its NKP rating be,what would its ph be and how strong is it?

When you get to know commercial cut flower growers and they start to let you into their feeding schedule,thats when you start to learn.There is now not one commercial grow here in New Zealand that uses a slow release fert at any time of the year.All are now using liquid ferts and a good 90% would be using in pot watering with their fert used at every watering,which would be every 2nd day at least.Of the fert that they use they may use a commercial base(most dont)and then add what they need for the situation that they have.As most of the cut flower growers are exporting they do not use organic ferts as there is a greater chance of bringing in diseases that would prevent the export of the flowers so they use chemical based ferts and this will include Urea.
    The mix or bacteria here are not really considered,if more nitrogen is needed what are the sources and what is the cost.