Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: First Catt, health questions

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default First Catt, health questions

Hi,
    This is my first post on the forum. I just received my first catt in the mail. To me it appears healthy overall, but there are a few things that I would like to have more experienced opinions on.:
    On the two leaves of the newest pseudobulb, there are stripes of what looks like yellow blisters. Does anyone know what these are?
    Also there are some reddish lesions on the base of a leaf from an older bulb.
    Also, is it normal for bulb sheaths to look like they're rotting? The bulb underneath looks ok.
    And last, (sorry there are so many questions), the oldest bulb seems to be planted under the medium so that the top of the medium is level with the begining of the leaf, is this ok? When I repot should I try to uncover this bulb or should I plant it the same way?
    Thanks so much in advance!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Bluegardener,

I think you had better post up a photo of this cattleya and let us take a look. The rotting question really concerns me. Better to post a photo sooner than waiting. If there is something wrong with this orchid, you will need to contact the vendor and get it replaced. If it is rotting, then they (s/he) should send you a replacement.

Regarding your question about the ps-bulb under the medium: Usually this is not a good idea. Depending on how it looks, I would not leave it under the medium. I suspect that the orchid might have been repotted quickly to ship to you. It could have been done without much care for the health of the plant. (Just a guess.)

If possible, post up a photo and let us take a look.

Cheers,
    BD

Hmm, lets see if this works. If it does, the first one is the sheath, the second two are the yellow blisters, and the 4th is the red stuff at the leaf base.
    I think the catt has been growing in this pot for a while. The roots that I can see seem to be shaped to the media and/or the outside of the pot. Maybe they piled media on top while the orchid grew. Is that ever done? How would I pot the plant since it has a steep upward angle of growth?
    The second oldest bulb isn't buried but looks a bit shriveled.

Thanks again for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

The red stuff in the last image looks like a type of scale. You should clean it off. Use an old toothbrush with soap and water and remove the scale. I cannot tell from the photo if the scale is dead or alive. If will take over the plant if it is scale if not removed.

I am not sure what to make of the 'yellow blisters'. It looks like something was nibbling on the leaf because the lines are so straight.

The sheath looks dead. Can you see or feel any buds inside it?

Cheers,
    BD

Sorry, I think I'm using the wrong terminology. When I said "sheath" I meant that brown fibrous wrapper for the peudobulbs. The leaves you see in the pict are actually coming off another bulb, woops.
    The stuff on the base of the leaf is really stuck on. I looked up scale and I don't think that's it. In consistency it reminds me of the grey bumps that are on pumpkins, but this stuff is brick red.

I think I finally managed to get some better picts. It would be great if someone could identify this reddish-brown stuff. From research my closest guesses are rust fungus or tomatoe spotted wilt virus (I really hope not).

Thanks for your help, BD.

-Jackie

I forgot the picts are so small. :P Here's a bigger one.

2nd try

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

not sure what that scaly reddish stuff is, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. cattleyas aren't the tidiest growers and I've seen similar streaks before, possibly due to something during development or the alignment of the stars or whatever. I don't think it's necessarily a fungal infection, especially if the next growth is fine.

the bumps that are stuck on are probably nothing to worry about either.

sheaths often turn dry, which may mean that growth will not flower. a few catts, though, bloom from dry sheaths, so you never know.

That's a relief. Always good to start out with a healthy specimen on the first try. Thanks for all the advice!