Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 56 of 83 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild orchids

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Peter
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis, Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

nice pictures.
    Peter

Real Name
    Clive
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All Orchids
    Member's Country Flag

Very beautiful photos...and thanks for showing them to us..Its nice to see them in the wild in their natual state...Awesome

Real Name
    Nenella
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

Super as usual! I really enjoy seeing your photos of your forest trips! Thanks again!

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by harvey View Post
    nice pictures.
    Peter
    Thanks Peter.

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Clivedude View Post
    Very beautiful photos...and thanks for showing them to us..Its nice to see them in the wild in their natual state...Awesome
    Hi Clive thank you very much.

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nen View Post
    Super as usual! I really enjoy seeing your photos of your forest trips! Thanks again!
    Thanks Nenella maybe one day you can come to Malaysia to enjoy yourself the beauty of our natural forest so interesting.

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Default Cont 182

P1 another view of the sea
    P2 I took this opportunity my photo with the sea background my last day in Miri and end of my session there. See you again in the jungle of West Malaysia soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Jef09071984 View Post
    Hi Zainal,

Yes we have same climate but in some other areas here in the Phil. in highlands....
    we live in the city, wich is kinda polluted and hot which makes me taking more care for my orchids at our garden....
    Hi Jef09071984 , If you lived in Novaliches areas. According to some old -time residents of the area, 60 or more years ago. They can still see wild orchids like Dendrobium crumenatum , Dendrobium anosmum, Vanilla colapogon , Pholidota species, Nervilla , Habenaria, Cymbidium finlaysonianum and common lowland orchids before roads , subdivisions and trees were cleared which paved way to the rapid development of the area now divided into 2 cities Caloocan and Quezon City.

I also read a book about Philippine orchids published about 50 years-ago . The author described having gathered some orchids species in present day La Mesa watershed area or Novaliches area ( maybe near the border of San Jose Del Monte , Bulacan province ) . Mona Lisa Steiner ( RIP) . If you have access to the watershed area, you can still see about a dozen or so wild orchids still in its natural habitat, Although much reduced than what the author had experienced 50 or 60 years ago. I still have her book and although a lot of genus names was changed , you can still chronicle what happened to Novaliches areas - just barely 20 kilometers away from Manila had happened in the last 50 or so years. Kindly PM me if you want to borrow my book .

That is why there is a group of advocates which wanted to replant native Philippine trees around the La Mesa watershed area so that the native orchid species can reclaim their former range .

I am very impress with the number of native orchid species and thanks for sharing those pictures with us. I have the chance to explore secondary areas , cleared areas and coconut plantations with a lot of orchids ferns, hoyas in the Philippines ( mostly Quezon, Laguna, Batangas, Bulacan , Aurora , Subic areas.

Real Name
    Deepak
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All
    Member's Country Flag

This is nice place .. Hope there are plenty of wild bettas and cryptocoryne there.. Thanks for sharing..

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rence View Post
    Hi Jef09071984 , If you lived in Novaliches areas. According to some old -time residents of the area, 60 or more years ago. They can still see wild orchids like Dendrobium crumenatum , Dendrobium anosmum, Vanilla colapogon , Pholidota species, Nervilla , Habenaria, Cymbidium finlaysonianum and common lowland orchids before roads , subdivisions and trees were cleared which paved way to the rapid development of the area now divided into 2 cities Caloocan and Quezon City.

I also read a book about Philippine orchids published about 50 years-ago . The author described having gathered some orchids species in present day La Mesa watershed area or Novaliches area ( maybe near the border of San Jose Del Monte , Bulacan province ) . Mona Lisa Steiner ( RIP) . If you have access to the watershed area, you can still see about a dozen or so wild orchids still in its natural habitat, Although much reduced than what the author had experienced 50 or 60 years ago. I still have her book and although a lot of genus names was changed , you can still chronicle what happened to Novaliches areas - just barely 20 kilometers away from Manila had happened in the last 50 or so years. Kindly PM me if you want to borrow my book .

That is why there is a group of advocates which wanted to replant native Philippine trees around the La Mesa watershed area so that the native orchid species can reclaim their former range .

I am very impress with the number of native orchid species and thanks for sharing those pictures with us. I have the chance to explore secondary areas , cleared areas and coconut plantations with a lot of orchids ferns, hoyas in the Philippines ( mostly Quezon, Laguna, Batangas, Bulacan , Aurora , Subic areas.
    You are welcome Rence.Thanks for those info actually very valuable for future generations.