Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Repotting Madness!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Pedro Onativia
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All
    Member's Country Flag

Default Repotting Madness!

I have a need to repot my plants which I know is not necessarily good. However, I am finding that the condition of the roots of some of the plants that I am receiving (and from reputable sellers) is not always the best. So after I killed a Phal, which I think came ready to die, I got a little OCD!

Is there a rule of thumb for the repotting of genera/alliances? How much repotting is too much??? Thanks for your help.

Real Name
    Clint M. Dawley
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

When you receive a plant, you can repot it. Most growers do because you never know where a surprise is lurking. (That is, unless you buy a plant that is dormant.)

No general rule of repotting...after you repot you initial purchase, it is usually 1-2 years before you need to do it again.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

I usually try to repot every new orchid I get. I like to put plants into the mix that I am used to watering so nothing drowns or dries-up. Some plants seem to do better after repotting as well - putting on new growth and sometimes blooms.

Can you repot too much? Everything n excess is usually not good. Try to stay on a schedule and your orchids will be happy.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    John
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Cymbidium
    Member's Country Flag

Just like Bruce, I try to repot any new acquisitions so that they are in a container and potting mix that is similar to the rest of the collection - or at least similar to a group that it belongs to (catts in baskets with medium bark, oncidiums in plastic post with small bark, etc)
    This way, there is no "odd plant out" when it comes to watering and feeding schedules.

However, there are exceptions. If I receive a plant and it appears to be happy and in active growth, then I leave it alone and wait for the next dormant period.

If I receive a plant from a vendor and it is in a sorry state, I let let the vendor know and give them a chance to rectify the situation. Otherwise, the vendor disappears from my business list.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

I repot all new ones learned the hard way . Ordered A Cattleya it arrived in bud I waited until it bloomed, blooms did not last long . I unpotted it , the base of the plant was cooked / brown.. no live eyes at all . Never know what is lurking under the mix .. Gin

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

And there is always the little plug of stuff way up in the root ball growing rot or hiding bugs....I always repot, and use all new stuff from pots to potting materials. Its also good to dip them to kill hiding bugs and fungus'.
    Connie

My Grow Area
    On a Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by 0rch1dman View Post
    I have a need to repot my plants which I know is not necessarily good. However, I am finding that the condition of the roots of some of the plants that I am receiving (and from reputable sellers) is not always the best. So after I killed a Phal, which I think came ready to die, I got a little OCD!

Is there a rule of thumb for the repotting of genera/alliances? How much repotting is too much??? Thanks for your help.
    It really all depends on what kind and what you're growing them in Orch1dman.

Bark medium usually is good for 2 years. After that, it starts breaking down, getting spongy, retaining too much water and is when you'll need to replace it, hence, re-pot.

Paphs. actually do better when you do re-pot and usually, a lot of new growth with occur at that time. I always give them a good cleaning and change the medium after every flowering and, the same with Phals, or sooner. They also seem to respond favorably to a re-pot about every 6 months and not 2 years (for me) as I've always read.

Coelogyne on the otherhand, hate re-pots, hate any disturbance of any kind and are known to sulk up to a couple of years if they've been messed with.

It all depends on what, in what, how and where you're growing them. Oh, and not to add any confusion to this but it also depends on where the plants are in their growing cycles, ie., repotting Dends while they're growing is typically the best time vs. when they're dormant.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Onc? impossible to choose!
    Member's Country Flag

One great thing about mounted plants is this isn't really necessary- I am trying to buy more and more mounted these days. Once I started repotting an orchid that I had just got in trade and when I got the potting mix out there was tidal wave/explosion of ants all over me and our basement. Now I do it outside!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Meg25 View Post
    One great thing about mounted plants is this isn't really necessary- I am trying to buy more and more mounted these days. Once I started repotting an orchid that I had just got in trade and when I got the potting mix out there was tidal wave/explosion of ants all over me and our basement. Now I do it outside!
    Another good reason to repot new arrivals!

Cheers,
    BD