Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: bare root orchids

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Maria
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    don't know yet
    Member's Country Flag

Default bare root orchids

Hi all! Okay, i received a catt, two dendrobiums and two oncidiums. They arrived looking pretty sad and dessicated. I have had them soaking for two days. a few of the leaves on the dendos and oncidiums turned yellow and fell off so i took them out of the water. the roots are much plumper now but appear so fragile. Do i continue to soak them longer or pot them up? the plants are rather small (about three inches) and the medium i have seems really big for those little roots. should i use different medium for the different plants? any advice out there?

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

You usually soak a dry rooted orchid for about 10 minutes in a container with a few drops of superthrive to help the roots come back. Two hours is a rather long time. It may be advisable to hang them upside down in a well ventilated area. You might even use a fan to help them dry quickly. Depending on who you ordered from, you may want to send them back if they do not look healthy. There are posts on here about sellers on Ebay. If you bought your plants on there, you might want to send them back fast if you feel there is something wrong or you may be unable to get a refund.
    If you do a search on potting orchids you will find several excellant posts by our senior members that give pictures as well as a detailed explanation. There are other learning posts about potting materials and pots.
    Good Luck
    Connie

Real Name
    Cin
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

I would not soak them any more don't want to drown them. Pot all up in bark/ spag. I have all of my catts in lava rock but that is a personal thing. Don't know where you are located. Anyway repot give a good water with weak fertilizer and let them stay dry for a while. Look for new root growth and water with fertilizer.
    Good Growing, C

Real Name
    Maria
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    don't know yet
    Member's Country Flag

I potted them all. I think i may have lost one the oncs since appeared the roots were barely hanging on but i didn't want to pull on it in case i was wrong. I put them on a shelf that has a grow light. hope they make it. thanks.

Real Name
    Maria
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    don't know yet
    Member's Country Flag

Question: I was reading another thread about spreading black rot and reusing medium (which I did not do). I did not spray with physan as i see it recommended when i potted these up this afternoon. The only thing i did is sprinkle cinnamon on those areas where roots where removed. Should i find this physan or something else? Please advise. Thanks.

Real Name
    Geoffrey Melton
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Like I could really choose...
    Member's Country Flag

Well, I think you can get by without Physan, but it is a very useful product. It is a disinfectant, a sanitizer, a deodorizer, a fungicide, an algaecide and a virucide all rolled into one. It has many specific plant applications, like controlling slimy collar rot in cacti. It also has many general uses, such as controlling algae in swimming pools, disinfecting cutting tools and work areas. The key is to prepare it properly according to what you are using it for. For example, as preventative maintenance on orchids, you should spray once a month with a solution of 2 tsp per gallon of water. However, for crown rot on phalaenopsis, they recommend to spray a solution of 1 tsp per gallon of water. Does that help?

Real Name
    Maria
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    don't know yet
    Member's Country Flag

I will get some and make it a part of my regime. Should i spray the newly planted guys immediately or wait until next watering? thanks.