Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Onc. Twinkle is dying!!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Neofinetia
    Member's Country Flag

Default Onc. Twinkle is dying!!

Hi!

New to the whole keeping orchids world...

Have an Onc. Twinkle which is dying the pseudo bulbs are all shriveled up and the roots feels mushy. When i bought it it was potted in moss and it started to shrivel it has since been re-potted about a month ago in a so called onc. mix (no moss). What can I do to save it?

At the same time I re-potted an Onc. Sharry which is doing great has new roots and a flower spike, so not to worried about that one.

The Mtdm. Pacific waters "Paul's Pride" might be going the same way as the twinkle it started growing out new leafs and new roots after re-potting, but they just look white with no green to them at all and all the old roots feel mushy as well.

They are all standing in the same window with the blinds angled so they are not getting direct sunlight.They all got re-potted in plastic containers that have a basket insert for more air I guess... They are standing on a humidity tray and only get watered once a week with misting during the week.

I hope this is the right place for this and hope to get some help to save twinkle and Paul

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda

i water my oncidiums twice a week. most of my orchids actually. shriveling is usually lack of water. the mushy roots should be removed carefully, as they are probably rotting, which lets the plant get less water, and then it shrivels. normally i would say the plant is too dry, except the mushy part... are the bottom of the pots sitting in water? the humidity tray shoudl hold enough water to help give humidity, but the pots need to be above the water so they don't soak in it. do youhave the trays filled with gravel? if you post some photos, we might be able to help better. mushy is subjective, and not able to tell really, but a photo would help a ton.

Real Name
    Tamara
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The ones that are alive
    Member's Country Flag

Hi, welcome to OT.

What I've learnt is that orchids are like people, they may be the same nationality but that doesn't mean they're the same. I have 2 UFO onc and they're different in many ways. You may have to tweak your potting mix to be more fast drying for the sick ones, or they may need a bit more sun (keep using the humidity tray). Take them out of the pots and let them dry out for a day or so after you slice and dice the roots. Cinnamon, hydrogen peroxide, weak bleach water, SA20 or Physan are a few suggestions for cleaning up the cuts, to prevent fungus and bacteria infection and such, then repot. All orchids are trial and error unfortunately so you have to see how they do with the changes. If the roots are really bad and you're worried that they won't recover, don't, because they come back from the dead, dust with a bit of rooting compound as a booster before repotting and give a weak fert after a week so it settles and the rooting comp has chance to work into it. I have a "Death Door" shelf (there several threads in Ailments/Compost Pile about resurrection plants)and they always come back, unless they've really really gone south. and keep us posted.

Real Name
    Leaf Mite
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    anything fragrant, miniatures
    Member's Country Flag

I have an onc. Twinkle in red lava rock and a small plastic net pot. I keep the rock moist but with the pot being small and allowing great airflow, the roots remain healthy. Rock doesn't decay and, thus, stays open as a mix. Whatever mix you use, or size of pot, make certain it drains very well and dries evenly and quickly. Oncidiums are very tough and do recover when given the right conditions so you have a great chance of saving it. Good luck!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Neofinetia
    Member's Country Flag

Name:  onc1.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  120.2 KBName:  onc2.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  127.8 KBName:  onc3.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  119.3 KB

Thank You for the replies!! I'm hoping that I can get twinkle back on track.... Its not standing in water as the humidity tray has a grid for them all to stand on.

So I can take twinkle out of the pot and mix without it dying on me?? (I know it is already dying) So, I can take a photo of the roots before I start cutting roots off. I'm also guessing the pot is a little too big for it. I think I'll invest in the red lava rock and try and see if it likes that better.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kazugi View Post
    Thank You for the replies!! I'm hoping that I can get twinkle back on track.... Its not standing in water as the humidity tray has a grid for them all to stand on.

So I can take twinkle out of the pot and mix without it dying on me?? (I know it is already dying) So, I can take a photo of the roots before I start cutting roots off. I'm also guessing the pot is a little too big for it. I think I'll invest in the red lava rock and try and see if it likes that better.
    Good luck!!

cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Tamara
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The ones that are alive
    Member's Country Flag

Is that fungus on the bark? Yup, too moist. Change the media for sure and you can, if it doesn't freak you out too much leave it out of the media til you get the lava rock, if it's only a few days. You can just rest it on top of the humidity tray gird and spritz the roots every day. I did that when one of my onc fell and the clay pot it was in broke and I couldn't get the right size pot for a several days. The roots got plump, well as plump as oncs' roots can get.

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Neofinetia
    Member's Country Flag

I have ordered the lava rock it should get here Tuesday or Wednesday. I have Physan 20 is that something that would work for this? I'll try and leave it out of the media for a few days at this point it is certainly not going to hurt... Thx!!!

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Physan is a useful tool, but don't overdo it !. We can't get it in Europe now,and I have to find near equivalents, but I add some kind of disinfectant to the water, at a pretty weak rate like 1:5000 all the time.
    The symptoms of under-watering and over-watering are just the same , since they lead to dead roots, which means that the plant can't take up water that way. In extremis, wash everything, all the compost , off the plant, cut off everyhing which is dead,shake off the excess water, put the whole thing in a clear plastic bag, blow the bag up ( with your breath , not a bomb ! )and tie the bag tight with a twist tie, then hang up somewhere bright but not in direct sun. This will keep the plant slightly moist, but not too wet, for 100% of the time. If - not, when ! you see new growths and new roots, watch carefully ; when the roots are an inch or more long and several of them, repot in clean compost, and start again. You can even return the pot to the plastic bag after doing that - could take several moths btw - , and allow the initial watering to recycle in the bag, and leave it there until the growth starts to get a decent size.
    Good luck.

Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

That first pic...is that webbing on the media surface?
    Posted via Mobile Device