Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Canon Powershot g9 or s5

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Giovanna Diliquay
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis Species.
    Member's Country Flag

Default Canon Powershot g9 or s5

I'm seriously considering one of these two cameras. If anyone owns / has used either of these, please don't hesitate to post your pros and cons of your camera. Thanks!

Real Name
    Steve
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    just about all of them
    Member's Country Flag

Havn't used either sorry, but I found this site very useful when choosing my camera. Just type in make and model into their search.

Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

Real Name
    Mohsen Arooni
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

I have used both of them... Both have the same image quality (apart from image size)... If I define the two in a few words:
    G9: Classic, Built like a tank, has lots of Pro options and feeling... If you need a sturdy compact and hit your hardware around, the steel body helps a lot!... The lens has not much of quality and the battery has just insufficient power (its a lithium type and they're expensive!) but I love it because of the classy looks and easy control (Oh those dials!...)...
    S5IS: Sturdy, Powerful, Very nice lens, High quality videos + zoom & stereo sound... If you need the zoom and movie mode, Its a great choice...
    Its all up to you... I REALLY love metal stuff... My phone, my player, ALL have metal parts... METAL is the reason I'm buying Canon EOS 40D over Nikon D80... So I'd go for G9... But if you like to have both a camera and camcorder (S5 has excellent movie recording options + high quality sound and zooming) S5 is your choice... besides it uses 4 AAs and you can find them in every store...

Real Name
    Giovanna Diliquay
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis Species.
    Member's Country Flag

I still haven't found much use in video features in a digital camera...For me, it's a welcome feature but not the "money shot". On the other hand, sure zooming should be better on the g9, besides, it's considered a more "prosumer" product than the s5 and that is probably why I'm considering it as an adversary to the g9. However...8mb is less than 12.1 and I think that in maybe 1-2 years time it will be inadequate.
    I think I'm leaning towards the g9, because I've had the g1 since 2001 and it still takes great pics, it has lived through snow, sea water, sweat, falls, etc and still works great. I know what you mean about the metal parts in gadgets...nowadays things feel so....plasticky!

Real Name
    Mohsen Arooni
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

... Correct... BUT...
    These cams have small sensors and packing them with lots of pixels will surely bring out a mess... The fujifilm S6500fd got a 6mpx sensor but produces more resolution than any other rival camera... another thing to consider... nowadays Gs are not so G-ish... I really miss that cool f/2.0 lens... How about the all new panasonic LX3?... Built like a tank, classy looks, got a wide 24-60mm lens with bright f/2.0-f/2.8 aperture... with a large 10mpx sensor, has all the pro features you need... Just wait for some reliable review...

Real Name
    Giovanna Diliquay
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis Species.
    Member's Country Flag

After much thought and contemplation, I decided to get a g9. I'm so familiar with the g series I found any camera in this class (prosumer digital camera, the very last thing you buy before you venture in the dslr scene) to be either impractical (plastic shell) or the controls to be totally in the wrong place, or even the colors...a bit off really. So I went on and bought it! I'm posting demo pics tomorrow!

Real Name
    Mohsen Arooni
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Congrats on buying such a nice camera... I love the great macro capabilities (and the stabilizer) which suits an orchid lover's needs!... You know, flash photography with a digicam ruins the beauty of flowers... Again congrats...

Real Name
    Giovanna Diliquay
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis Species.
    Member's Country Flag

I'm still getting used to the new camera and its zillion settings...I'm not a fan of automated aperture, shutter speed and iso programs which means I have to take the same shot at least 4 times to choose which is best.
    However its controls are familiar and ergonomic, plus the iso button is PERFECT for experimenting.

Real Name
    John
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Cymbidium
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by GiovannaD View Post
    I'm still getting used to the new camera and its zillion settings...I'm not a fan of automated aperture, shutter speed and iso programs which means I have to take the same shot at least 4 times to choose which is best.
    However its controls are familiar and ergonomic, plus the iso button is PERFECT for experimenting.
    The g9 is a nice camera. As with all cameras with controllable settings, you will get the hang of it and will instinctively know what mode is appropriate for your specific shooting conditions.

When I started, I always had my camera locked on "full-auto" and then started playing with the controllable settings slowly. Now I hardly ever use the full-auto mode.

Real Name
    Mohsen Arooni
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Dudes... Check out all the new canon stuff at dpreview.com... Enjoy!...