Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Suggestions On Light System Brand Reliability

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Member's Country Flag

Default Suggestions On Light System Brand Reliability

I'm looking into lighting systems other then the fluorescent lights I currently use but when I go to the different websites I'm overwhelmed by all the choices in brands, ballasts, reflectors, etc. I know that I want to put in Metal Halide as primary and HPS as a fill. Any personal experiences with specific brands, types of reflectors & ballasts or complete ready-to-go systems would be greatly appreciated. With all the different brand names and price ranges it can make you crazy!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Randy

Real Name
    Geoffrey Melton
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Like I could really choose...
    Member's Country Flag

Well, I have some experience w/ HID systems. If you won't be using the lights at the same time, I would suggest going with a switchable ballast, that way you can use MH bulbs and HPS bulbs on the same ballast. Alternatively, you could buy an HPS system and shell out the extra $50 for a MH conversion bulb, and you could use that on the HPS ballast. If you plan on using them both at the same time, you're going to have to buy 2 ballasts, 2 reflectors, etc... You want a reflector that mounts the bulb horizontally, rather than vertically, as they are more efficient. By far, the best reflector I've ever seen has a double parabola shape, and goes by the brand name Adjust-A-Wing. PM me for a source if you want it. Lumatek makes good ballasts, and Sunburst too. Digital ballasts are supposed to be quieter and more energy efficient than the typical core and coil ballast. I've never used a digital ballast, so don't hold me to it. If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me...
    Last edited by jfrizz743; July 23rd, 2008 at 10:41 AM. Reason: I can't spell today

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals and phaius

I have a Radiant reflector by Hydrofarm, with one of their better ballasts (I forget the name but I can go look if it's important to you. I believe it was the 5 or 6 year guaranteed, made in USA ballast. The bulb is an Agrosun Gold, which is MH with a little extra red thrown in. I've had it for about 4 years, very reliable. I also like the fact that this reflector can have a glass shield added for safety indoors.