Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Patience is a virtue...BUT...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Onc? impossible to choose!
    Member's Country Flag

Lightbulb Patience is a virtue...BUT...

So we all know that growing orchids teaches patience-(excecpt for the instant gratification of buying plants in bloom.)
    But what of all of your orchids are you most anxious to see bloom? It could be a seedling that you don't know what it will look like, or mabye it is one that you bought in bloom but havent seen since then, anything you are hoping for!
    For me it is a small Phal. Venus x Phal. celebensis- I bought it as a seedling in a 1 1/2" pot about this time last year at the National Capital Orchids Society Show. I think I have seen a pic of it on the forum here. It is growing very well, but I think it's still on the small side. It is a mini species cross though.

I also have a paph. delenatii that I bought out of bloom 2 years ago. nothing yet though.

But the phal is my most hoped for bloomer, I actually had a dream that I found a spike on it the other night!

What about you guys???

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.

It can be a long list. Here are a few:

One of them is Den. Garnet Jewel that I bought last year. Even it's growing well with new canes, but no sign of spiking at all.

I have this doritis which I bought in bloom maybe more than 5 years ago. It has produced lots of keikis over years, but no bloom. The original orchid died, and so did the first two generations of keikis. The two great-grandbabies I have are now growing OK, still no sign of spiking.

Real Name
    Cindi
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Hmm! I have a catt called Aoni Mystery. so far it is a mystery to me!

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidium alliance

Well, most concretely I really want to see my Eplc. Don Hermann bloom, bought last year, but I believe it has a sheath starting so I may be in luck.

In the wishful thinking category I would most like to bloom one of my two cymbidiums, particularly since one of them is my first orchid ever and has seen some trying times. That would be really great to bloom it some day (still a loooong ways away)!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Oh, where to begin!.... Really, I would like to finally bloom the bublo phalaenopsis. I thought it was going to bloom this month, but the 'spike' turned out to be another new growth. Someday!

Cheers,
    BD

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal Vanda Aer Angrm Catts

For me it is easily a couple of blue phal violacea seedlings I purchased last year as even smaller seedlings. YOu have probably seen pictures of them around--they really are blue--but sheesh they take FOREVER to bloom. But I guess I should be a little patient since they are little guys.

Oh, and I am very much hoping for and crossing my fingers to rebloom a bunch of my phrags--they just weren't very happy on my old windowsill. I got good foliage, but only one bloom. So . . . now that I have a greenhouse, I'm hoping some of them will stop giving me attitude and start giving my blooms.

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

I am very eager to see the first blooms of a baggie baby I've had for over a year now. It is an Ascocenda/Vanda cross that will be Coerula....I have a year or so to see my baby B. David Sander and my Den. Betty Gotto bloom for the first time...and there are several others, but those few are the ones I would want to see first. Raising them from seedling, or near blooming size has made it alot more fun. The Ascocenda is the healthiest vanda type I've ever grown and I hope that by next year I'll be sharing pictures of it's first blooms.
    Connie

Real Name
    Angie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

This is a good question. For me, the answer is the first orchid I ever got. It was a division of one of my grandmother's orchids. She lost the tag long ago, so it is a NOID, but from what I've seen of her blooms, I'm pretty sure Brassavola nodosa is one of the 'parents'. I thought it was beginning to develop a sheath this year, but the thing dried up. When I got the division more than four years ago, I'm sure it was too small to bloom. Not sure what the problem is now.

The second orchid I'd like to see bloom is another NOID with oncidium-like bulbs. It was given to me nearly a year ago by a friend who moved away. It had been given to her without flowers and never bloomed for her, so I have no idea what the flowers would look like. And I'm curious!