Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now, I am upset with myself...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.

Default Now, I am upset with myself...

We have had several cold nights in Houston. The weather man was predicting low 40s, so I didn't think to bring orchids inside because I have always left them out there if it doesn't get lower than 40. They are fairly dry since I haven't watered them for a week.

Well... It was colder than expected and very windy too, and I forgot a couple of catts are spiking. Yesterday I checked on them after work. My Pot. Hoku Gem just started spiking with little buds. Now those two tiny buds are totally dried. Other spikes survived OK because they are in bigger pots.

Then I was in a hurry to move phal into the house, and fit most catts into one shelf and tried to put a plastic cover over it. I knocked over a couple more pots and broke several new growth during the struggle.

I do like cold and snow, and look forward to skiing evey year. But, I do NOT like cold in my backyard.

I think we all have broken spikes and growths, it is part of growing orchids. It never feels good though

If you don't like cold in your backyard...you would hate my backyard...we had wet snow last night

Real Name
    Cin
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Have a nice big Den spike in a vase right now that I hit with the water wand
    yesterday, GRRRR
    Cin

Real Name
    Clint M. Dawley
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

It was cold here too that night. I left everything outside and it all faired well. My new mantra for the outside plants is don't take them in unless temps fall below 35. I'm sticking to it. Last year I did this without any damage whatsoever.

I think in Houston you might have 3-5 days of below 35 the entire winter. Just be careful moving them--we've all been there and done that.

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

We did the move into the garage yesterday, and all went well. I left a couple nobile den's outside and my one tolumnia...the cold makes them bloom better. The rest are either in the living room or the new "orchid corner". It used to be called, "the laundry area". One must make do...I have a grandchild coming this weekend and cannot have her chewing on the orchid leaves. She's teething....
    And about using that "snow" word on here....I thought there was no swearing?? Makes me shiver just hearing it!
    Connie

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Everyone breaks off spikes, bud, etc... I was helping out at the orchid society this past Sunday and was showing one of the auction plants off to the crowd when I broke off an entire p-bulb in front of an audience! LOL. Sarah (Sadie) laughed and didn't miss a beat as we sold that poor, damaged orchid for 9 bucks.

I put some oil-filled radiator type heaters in our GH last night since it got below freezing. I hope it will help defray the cost of the gas heat in there. Electricity is cheaper than gas around here.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Cindi
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

I use those oil-filled electric heaters in my basement bird room. It is 20 by 24 feet and 2 heaters are set on low to heat the area to roughly 50/55 degrees. On warmer winter days (above zero) it can even reach 60 degrees with the heaters on low.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.

Thank you for hearing me... I am sorry, but here is more:

Things have gone from bad to worse. I just got this mini-greenhouse, shelf with zipped up cover. I put the cover on last night, but I forgot to take it off this morning before I left for work. Today's high is near 70, I think that mini greenhouse was overheated during the day time, all orchids on that shelf has more brown leaves than green now. Orchids are top shelf almost are all brown Oh, Only if I can kick myself...

What am I going to do with ~40 almost dead catts? I turn 43 tomorrow. I have to say this age thing doesn't bring any wisdom at all. I need a drink.

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Liz, so sorry about all the cooling/heating problems... been there done that... did the whole too hot thing earlier this week too! A bunch of seedlings I recently deflasked ended up with browned off tips and edging on the leaves because of a really hot day! You learn from these things coz they are painful to deal with.... and the other plants are better for it.

Real Name
    Lynda
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phals, paphs, oncs
    Member's Country Flag

Aw Liz, what a struggle you're having; we've all been there.

My 'chids are thoroughly confused. They spent the summer out on the deck in Colorado where days were in the '60s and nights in the '40s, and it was getting colder than that--just above freezing--before I loaded them up for our move. Now they're on the lanai in south west FL where it had been in the '80s (and very humid) in the days, and nights in the '60s, but suddenly they're having cool weather here, too--more like Colorado. So I'm sure the plants are wondering what's next. I sure am!