Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Mule Ear Oncidiums_What's up with these?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Real Name
    Chris Miller
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

Question Mule Ear Oncidiums_What's up with these?

Hey friends,
    I stumbled across a mule ear oncidium that was given to me when a friend moved out of town. I like the leaf structure and the blooms were fantastic, but I can't find a good source of information on them? How many different kind are there? Can anyone recommend a good book that describes and outlines these? Any info appreciated.

Real Name
    Joe
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Den. phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

1) Well, according to my Botanica's Orchids, ed. 2002, the "mule-ear" has been moved from Oncidium to Trichocentrum. Ten species are listed as well as cultivation notes. Do you have access to the book?

2) ".... the mule ears are a great group because they grow easily and put out an abundance of flowers. The group is characterized by long, rather narrow foliage shaped very much like a mule's ear. There may be a small pseudobulb at the base of the leaf as in O. splendidum, but this is the exception. Size ranges from O. pumilum with its hoard of tiny yellow flowers to O. Mem. Pepita de Restrepo with leaves over a meter in length and spikes up to 3 meters in length. Until the popularity of equitants, O. Dr. Schragen (splendidum X lanceanum), a mule ear, was the most awarded oncidium." Source: Equitant & Mule Ear Oncidums by Ed Wright

3) Ortho's All about Orchids has a small discription in the Onc. section

Real Name
    Erly
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Spatulata section
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Dallasgarden,

I have 2 ear mule in my garden... I love the fragrants, its smell nice to me. I grow them in a bark mix in a shallow pots (plastic and clay pot). Hang it under a 50% shade cloth, less would be okay. I think they would grow finely as cattleya culture, as i do the same way.

Hope it helps.
    erly

Real Name
    Chris Miller
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

Joe,
    I don't have the book Botanica's Orchids. In the Ortho's book there is a description for Oncidium triquetrum....is this another way of spelling trichocentrum?
    Erly, I have many Cattleyas and my one mule ear gets the same treatment and thrives so I definitely want to find more!

Trichocentrum is a rather new Genus made up for those oncidiums that don't seem to fit with the others. There's been a lot of taxonomic restructuring lately and some of it is tentative. Your big Blc cattleyas are now Rsc or Rhynchosophrocattleyas depending on which Laelia was used. Anyway, I have a few mule ears and find them pretty hard to find. I grow them mounted as they definately prefer to dry out between waterings, more like Dendrobiums than Cattleyas. Good luck.
    Gary
    Last edited by Brutal_Dreamer; December 17th, 2008 at 06:27 PM. Reason: vendor advertisement removed. See terms and conditions for postiong.