Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Grow Area:)

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Fadi
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums

Default My New Grow Area:)

Hi Everyone!

I havent't posted for some time now but it has been very hectic with work and the family lately, but I do have some news!

After I received an eviction notice, for my orchids, delivered by my beautiful lawyer wife, I decided to have a special room for my Orchids. It is not so fancy, I know but I love it Its a room that I seperated from my parking area and I added a south facing window for the light to get through. For the first time, I am getting sufficient humidity. I remember that on the first day I placed my plants and hooked up my humidifier in the room, humidity was at 90%, so I thought that was bit too much. Now, I am keeping it beween 70 to 80%. That is a big difference from the previous 35 to 50% range I was in. For now, I am not using a heater Its been quite warm in Jerusalem, but I am sure that pretty soon it will get colder. So, if you guys have any suggestions for the type of heaters that are most suitable, please le me know. Also do you guys use a thermostat for keeping certain tempratures?
    I still, of course, have to fill it up with more occupents, hopefully in January after the holidays!
    So below are some pictures of the room(it is small: about 3 meters x 2.8 meters)

Thanks for looking guys!

Fadi
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

Cool set up...I am hoping to annex a portion of the garage shortly. Good Luck with the new set up...I'll be watching as mine is going to need some lights and heat as well. I would suggest a shower curtain to keep your humidity up....I see they use plastic covers for shelves indoors to help maintain humidity.
    Good Luck with it all...
    Connie

Real Name
    Fadi
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums

Here are some more pictures of the latest additions to my collection:

first picture: Paph wardii
    Second picture: Paph Armeni White
    Third and fourth pictures Phal. philippinensis with spike and nearly flowering.

Real Name
    Fadi
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums

One final picture of this Mini noid phal that I bought in spike in September and its already starting a new spike!

Real Name
    Cindi
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Salvador, Are the electric oil-filled radiators available in Jersalem? They can be set to an approximate range of temperature, some even have exact temperature settings. That might be a heater for you.

Real Name
    Rebecca Luce
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya!!
    Member's Country Flag

Yay, good for you!! This is a great set up!! Now wait a second, I have to ask - did you build this room?? Or just clean it out, add a window (no small task!!) and put orchids in it?? Because I have to say, if you built this little house just for orchids, you sure have got my respect!!!!! Its very nice, and your plants look happy!

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

looks like a great place for the orchids to be in... plenty of light, and if the humidity is at that level sounds like it's ideal... the open window should also allow a bit of air movement so that's great.

keep us up to date on how the plants are growing... and of course flowering... can't wait to see the open Phal philippinensis.

Real Name
    Laurent Lambert
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Laelia & Encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

Fill this room up with more plants, will you?
    Now that you have complied and moved all the orchids out of the house, you can have as many as you want, so reward yourself for this great setup!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

That is a great setup! Good for you. I love how you presented it "...eviction notice, for my orchids, delivered by my beautiful lawyer wife...". heheh..

I really like using the oil filled electric heaters. I have had some trouble with one though. If the humidity gets too high, it will trip the breaker in the power box. My old (10+ years) oil-filled radiator type heater works great. I think if you got one of those, it would heat that size room well.

BTW - it is good to see you back here and posting again! I look forward to your new Paph Armeni White to bloom. I have one and really like it. Keep us posted!

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Fadi
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums

Hey guys. Thanks for your comments

So Bruce, my better half was really happy in getting rid of the Orchids from the house but not too happy of the costs involved with the new room, especially that we are going to Cyprus for Christmas and the New Year(less money for shopping he he he)
    Well, for the heating part, I actually have this older oil electric heater which I think I will use so thanks for the suggestions. I am also using a fan right now which is on for about 12 hours a day. Should I keep it on 24 hours? As for the humidifier, it s also on for 12 hours.
    So Becky, about what I did with my Garage was the following: Since it a huge parking area that fits about 5 cars, I had to close off one part with a brick wall, added a wooden door, got a window installed, electricity with 3 outlets installed and water with sink hooked up. So it was quite a task, but worth every penny
    Anyways I am now hoping that I can get at least one Paph to bloom under my care..Haven't done that already. I wouldn't mind the Armeni white blooming...
    As for the Phal philippinensis, Bench72, I will surely post some pics when it is in bloom. I think it would look real pretty. I really love its leaves!
    In January, after I am back from my Holidays, I will be filling it up with so many plants Lambert