Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cyms are spiking

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default cyms are spiking

hooray! I hadn't been paying attention but the recent post on Cym growth/spike had me take a look. I don't have the room for many Cyms but I have had one for years and a couple years back I admired a Cym from a forum member who lives in New Zealand. Well she came to the US a few months after I admired hers and imported a division of the one I admired and sent it to me. Looks like it is in spike for the first time for me and with at least 3 spikes My other one has 4 spikes...skipped blooming last year for me after a repot.

I grow my Cyms at home...outside, in full sun, for the good weather. They remain outdoors until the first heavy frost is predicted. Then they come in and go in front of a west facing slider for the winter. I can't rid the one of Oxalis but I keep the weed from blooming
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Real Name
    John
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Cymbidium
    Member's Country Flag

Looking good Ron.

I got one tiny spike on a cym, I'm still waiting for the rest of my "foliage cymbidiums" to spike this year lol.

It looks like you are also having some oxalis guests in your cym pots. They seem to really love it in cymbidium pots. It is a monthly ritual for me to pull the tiny plants out of the pots.

Real Name
    Howard
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything That Will Grow
    Member's Country Flag

You, Ron, have oxsalis growing in your cym....OMG!!!!! You of all people! Who would thunk it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdoc5968 View Post
    You, Ron, have oxsalis growing in your cym....OMG!!!!! You of all people! Who would thunk it!
    Well, must have sprouted while my halo was out at the cleaners being polished, LOL I notice that I still even have fall leaves sitting amoung the p-bulbs...where is that no good plant cleaner of mine...need to fire her

Real Name
    Howard
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything That Will Grow
    Member's Country Flag

At least you have someone to keep the chids all nice and tidy.... I have to do the cooking, the cleaning and everything else in between! Maybe she might want to spend some time over here.... just maybe one day a month....maybe.... do ya think??????

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdoc5968 View Post
    At least you have someone to keep the chids all nice and tidy.... I have to do the cooking, the cleaning and everything else in between! Maybe she might want to spend some time over here.... just maybe one day a month....maybe.... do ya think??????
    In my best Henny Youngman voice...Take my wife...please

I am the only one who cares for my orchids...the wife reprimands if I leave a mess. Not only would she not care for them..if it was up to her she would rather see them gone. We do not share a common interest in this hobby.

I consider myself a Renaissance man ...at least 2 days a week I single parent. 3-4 days a week I cook. I also clean, do laundry, garden and run a Practice.

Today was a day off...let see what I did...awoke at 6:30...showered dressed got 2 kids up, one lunch made..drove one to school...stopped for a cup of coffee...went back to the school for an 8 am meeting with son's Student Counselor...came home...dictated a report...paid bills...started dinner...made phone calls...then I had an hour workout at the gym...gassed the car...met my son for a late lunch talk meeting, 2pm (HS senioritis...geeze...help me)...then did banking at 2 banks...stopped at the library...picked up youngest at 3:20...dropped her friend home for she missed the late bus...came home fed her and got kids working on homework...loaded and got the dishwasher going...went to the greenhouse (I had a 1/2 hour with my plants)...Came home. Drove youngest to swim practice...now I am about to rectify checking acct, put dishes away, put in a load of wash, straighten the house and accomplish whatever I can fit in prior to picking youngest up at 8pm. Sometimes I look forward to going back to work so I can relax, LOL.

Howard have you considered a house cleaner? They are cheaper and less vocal than a wife.

Real Name
    Howard
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything That Will Grow
    Member's Country Flag

Ron, while I am no longer as active as I once was during my working years in the Emergency Room, there was a time, because we had a "late in life" little one that I did all those things too. Wife hates to cook... thank G-d she doesn't mind doing the laundry 'cause now I'm the maid...can I write myself off as a tax deduction...I have a Green Card! So I've been there done all that and I feel for you... and we don't need any of those 'other people' telling us "poor baby, don't cry" stuff...we're just having fun here. So anyway, Ron, as I look back on things I wouldn't want it any other way... the real kids have been pretty much my whole life and if I were 25 years younger, I would do it all over again...well maybe with some modifications! Gee this is fun learning how others spend their days.....we ought to do this with pictures! Well, on second thought, maybe pictures of the chids will do.

Not sure what one considers a "late in life" little one. I didn't start a family until I was 33 and last born when I was 40...now in mid 50's and dealing with teens...and menopause all at the same time and let's not forget to mention managed healthcare woes.

Howard are you now retired?

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Goodness, I was just going to comment on the pretty spikes, lol. Now, I am thinking that Ron is Superman! (Well, I suppose knew that already. )

I am tired just reading your 'day off' activities, Ron. hehehe... Goodness. I wonder what would happen if you had a week off.

Good growing...!
    Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Cindi
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Bruce, If Ron had a week off, we would have World Peace as he would have every country running smoothly!