Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Greenhouse setup

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bob
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Default My Greenhouse setup

This is mine just before we finished it completely western red cedar including the floor. It is totally run buy computers and controllers and has 3 HAF on the back wall.

The greenhouse can run off a bank of battries that are kept charged as long as the electric is on, when power is off solar panles keep the bats charges, when all that fails there is a 7500 watt propane run gen that will kick in. This took me 35 years to plan and 7 months to build.

Picture to left shows new section has a 12/12 roof pitch left wall has shade cloth inside
    center picture Light controllers Irrigation Controller and 40000 btu propane forced air furnace.
    picture on right looking from old redone greenhouse right wall 12/24/110 volt converters left of picture is the bottom heated beds for young plants lower left my nap chair. The roof panels have UV protection built in, all windows and roof double wall poly.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Hillbilly Bob; February 21st, 2009 at 07:06 AM.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Bob, this is fantastic! I moved this to its own thread in the same section so that people would not miss seeing it. What a great setup. It must be so nice to not have to worry all the time. We have a little gas generator to use if power fails, but we would have to go and get it out of the barn, fill it with new gas, plug it in, and crank it up. Having everything automated must give you so much more time to enjoy tending the orchids. I would love to see more photos.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Larry
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis for bloom time
    Member's Country Flag

I'll trade ya! It looks like you have all the bases covered. I would loose my happy home if I went to all that expence at one time. I will add some of those bells and whistles as time goes by. I had to wait a year to prove to my wife that I could make the plants rebloom before I could buy more. Now I buy what I want when I want. Do you sell any Orchids to support your hobby? I think I may some time down the road but it isn't the reason I am doing it. I just like to grow them.
    TWLARRY

Real Name
    Bob
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Actually I lucked out on a lot of the expense I found 2 12'x14' commercial saunas that a guy had taken out of a health spa. I got them for 450.00 they had enough Red cedar to do the floors walls and roof rafters. I bought the beams and 4x4s from a dealer here. The benches where people sat are now the benches where orchids sit. The fans I had from other greenhouses. I did buy the fan controller best thing I ever bought it does everything but sweep the floor.
    I learned early that as you expand and change things never get rid of what you don't need then you will need it later.

My wife helped me a lot at the first, I was only 6 weeks out of heart surgery when I started it, and man was I slow Id do 2 boards a day and think I was moving. My kids helped me get the 2 Saunas after that I wanted to do it by myself I had to prove to to me that I could still do it. It was my way of recovering

Real Name
    Rebecca Luce
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya!!
    Member's Country Flag

I love these pictures Bob!!! They never fail to amaze.

BTW, that "6 weeks out of heart surgery" bit....geeze!!! That's pretty dedicated...I'd say you are pretty inspirational!!

Real Name
    Laurent Lambert
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Laelia & Encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

WOW, love the look of the red cedar wood, what a clever idea to use the saunas as building material ... If I had a greenhouse I would want it to be just like yours! Well done!

Real Name
    Bob
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Default reply

Quote Originally Posted by Becky15349 View Post
    I love these pictures Bob!!! They never fail to amaze.

BTW, that "6 weeks out of heart surgery" bit....geeze!!! That's pretty dedicated...I'd say you are pretty inspirational!!
    My wife the nurse/Researcher told me to tell you the word she used was not as kind as inspirational

Real Name
    Bob
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Default Your Town

Quote Originally Posted by twlarry View Post
    I'll trade ya! It looks like you have all the bases covered. I would loose my happy home if I went to all that expence at one time. I will add some of those bells and whistles as time goes by. I had to wait a year to prove to my wife that I could make the plants rebloom before I could buy more. Now I buy what I want when I want. Do you sell any Orchids to support your hobby? I think I may some time down the road but it isn't the reason I am doing it. I just like to grow them.
    TWLARRY
    I think we stopped in your town on one of our fishing excursions is it off 95 has a Marathon Station and a Diary Queen close to ch other?????? We were trying to figure out how to pronouce the name the guy at Marathon set us straight

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cats., Phals., Dems.
    Vacherie, LA (Between New Orleans and Baton Rouge)
    Member's Country Flag

This looks great. I have wanted a greenhouse for a while, not 35 years though. I guess I will be storing my orchids in my potting shed in the winter for a while. They are still looking fine, and have new growing. I think they will really go into over drive when I take them out in mid March.

Real Name
    Bob
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

The heated seedling bench the 700 gallon a day RO system with the 2 -50 gallon Ro water storagetanks and the 12V water pump it is a demand pump up to 13 gallons a min
    Attached Images Attached Images