Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Fruity Tilapia Curry

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Fruity Tilapia Curry

Rinse tilapia in cold water and put in flat container of appropriate size to marinade.
    Add orange juice or other acidic fruit juice so that it just licks up over the edge of the fillet, and splash around some so the top is moist but not submerged.
    Season with salt on top of fillet. Were going to add a lot of flavor so you don't need much
    Liberally cover entire surface of each fillet with relatively equal amounts each spice. You want it to pile up a bit in total. Spilling in the juice is good too.
    Let soak, but it will take up the orange flavor fairly quickly if your in a hurry.
    Heat your frying pan with some butter and/or good oil. You want it pretty hot but don't smoke it.
    Fry fish wet side down first. Times will vary depending on thickness and marination time (OJ is acidic) - you need the pan to dry up before you flip but not the fish. If pressed I'd say maybe around 4 min. / flip / 3 min. You want flakey but not dry and squeeky to chew. Try to get all the rub to stay attached and serve that side up.
    Try to get as much of the rub as possible back on the fish or deglaze the pan with some onions and white wine.

sounds wonderful! If you leave it soak in OJ long enough it could be used as Cerviche.

I wonder how this would be done under a broiler instead of frying..the seasoning would stay intact better I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron-NY View Post
    sounds wonderful! If you leave it soak in OJ long enough it could be used as Cerviche.

I wonder how this would be done under a broiler instead of frying..the seasoning would stay intact better I suspect.
    We have used this marinade for a bit longer than one would suspect to be wise. If you have fresh fish that you can't cook right away, it will keep much better in the acidic juice for a couple of days (covered obviously).

I think it would be lovely to broil. I would put some kind of oil on the top first though. There is something about the hot oil that lets the spices brown and open up and then melt into your tongue. In our house the little spicey bits have to be divided up fairly to avoid unrest at the table.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Oh, now I am hungry again. Yum! Thanks for this! We are land locked here, but the grocery has Tilapia fillets (frozen). I usually just bake them with lots of seasoning and lemon, but this sounds great.

Cheers,
    BD