Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phalaenopsis mariae

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Erly
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Spatulata section
    Member's Country Flag

Encik, i still couldn't find any seedling of this plant around I love the wave and pinkist splash of the first plant flower. Do this plant need specific treatment or slow growing ? Are both plants came from the same flask? as i thought the second one might be a bastianii

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e4rly View Post
    Encik, i still couldn't find any seedling of this plant around I love the wave and pinkist splash of the first plant flower. Do this plant need specific treatment or slow growing ? Are both plants came from the same flask? as i thought the second one might be a bastianii
    Erly is not slow growing actually very easy similar like belina, there no specific treatment similar like others phals species. This plant is not from flasks but from the jungle that I bought it during orchid fair. Do you have any relatives living near the border of Sabah or Serawak?

Hi, zainal. I have had a couple of P mariae hybrids, including P Hannover Passion, whose flowers last only a few days -- maybe a week at the max. This was very surprising to me because most phal flowers with a thick texture last so much longer.

Since you are growing the mariae, can you (or anyone else) tell me how long the flowers last? And is it a sequential bloomer, or bloom all at once then rest for a while?

Thanks in advance. I've looked everywhere I can think of, but just can't find this information anywhere.

Default I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Rob, If you got it from the same vendor, who hasn't been at our show for a few years, as I did (and I'm pretty sure you did), then the plant it Phal bastiani. Mine bloomed last year. Phal marie is often confused with bastiani and is much more rare and dificult to grow. The easy way to tell them apart is marie has a pendent spike and bastiani has a erect spike. Marie has cupped flowers, bastiani flat. You'll know pretty quickly with yours spikes.

Actually. a lot of the seedlings I got from that vendor a few years back are starting to bloom. Manni, valentenii, kunsterii

Kyle
    Phalaenopsis mariae is hard to tell apart from Phalaenopsis bastiani (old name, Phalaenopsis daltonii).
    Phalaenopsis mariae is much rarer, and the plant is a wee bit smaller than that of Phalaenopsis bastiani. THe P. mariae that I have seen (and owned) have shorter spikes that bend down immediately (pendant).
    I use Christenson's book for these problems. However, you can have a lot of phal species information from here: Phalaenopsis species by alphabetical order.
    Last edited by ntgerald; September 11th, 2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason: programming issue

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mehitabel View Post
    Hi, zainal. I have had a couple of P mariae hybrids, including P Hannover Passion, whose flowers last only a few days -- maybe a week at the max. This was very surprising to me because most phal flowers with a thick texture last so much longer.

Since you are growing the mariae, can you (or anyone else) tell me how long the flowers last? And is it a sequential bloomer, or bloom all at once then rest for a while?

Thanks in advance. I've looked everywhere I can think of, but just can't find this information anywhere.
    Hi thanks for the question, through my observation it may last between 4 to 7 weeks depending on the climate, immediately after the flower dropped if you are lucky another flower buds will appear again, it is not the sequential bloomer, flowering 2 to 3 times /year.

Thank you, zainal. That's very helpful. I'm obviously doing something wrong, but that's better than having a dud

Real Name
    Prinzedbeck
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All kinds of orchids
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zainal abidin View Post
    If this guy come out another keiki, no problem Bruce.
    Me too! I want 1!