Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phalaenopsis virus?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Tony
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Member's Country Flag

Default Phalaenopsis virus?

I am having a sudden outbreak of yellowish spots that in the in causes severe cell collapse. I am trying to determine what the source of this problem is. There are 3 pics attached that seem to represent different stages. It seems to move rapidly from phal to phal but doesn't seem to effect other orchids I have. They are grown in a greenhouse, at first I thought it was water temps but I use well water (which has been tested) and have been for 3 years now with no problems til this year. I thought it may be mites but the damage only shows on top of leaves, atleast in early stages. I heard it maybe a new "potyvirus" from taiwan which could make since because those plants first showing signs where imported from taiwan, although others that are infected now are not from taiwan. Does anyone have any thoughts on this... Thanks-Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Real Name
    Cindi
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Keep all your phals seperated from your other orchids. I think you better fet a virus test done.

Real Name
    Suzie
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Member's Country Flag

I would take anything with any symptoms OUT of the greenhouse phals or whatnot just to be safe... looks like one of those microfungus things that spreads like wildfire from plant to plant-
    Is there any contact from plant to plant, like water?

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

That looks terrible. My first guess is cold water too, but if that is not what is causing this, then remove all of the infected plants to a isolated location away from your healthy plants. Contact Critter Creek Labs and get a virus test done to determine if your phals need to be destroyed or if there is in fact some other cause beyond virus. Sorry for your trouble. I hope it is not virus.

Cheers,
    BD

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

It looks suspicious . I have heard about that virus . I would isolate and test asap. Would the virus only affect one leaf ? in the picture the other leaf looks ok . did it show symptoms later ? Have you sprayed with anything lately ? I am very sorry for the trouble .. Gin

Real Name
    Stephen
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Rhynch/Brassavola/Angc
    Member's Country Flag

Does not really look like a virus to me. Virus' usually start to show their affects over time. If this happened suddenly, I'd be more inclined to guess bacterial, fungal or maybe even pest.

Real Name
    Tony
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Member's Country Flag

Default Microfungus?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiemonster View Post
    I would take anything with any symptoms OUT of the greenhouse phals or whatnot just to be safe... looks like one of those microfungus things that spreads like wildfire from plant to plant-
    Is there any contact from plant to plant, like water?
    Interesting idea... It would explain the rapid spread of this disease, as compared to a virus, which I have never seen a virus spread this quickly anyway.I have apx. 200 phals, first noticed this problem about a month ago, now I know of atleast 40 infected phals(and counting)... I have been growing orchids for 20 years and never seen this before, Contact with water, maybe in some cases, but I have notice it showing up on phals that where in a totally differant place (being shown and away from other phals infected).Thank you for your reply-Tony

Real Name
    Tony
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Member's Country Flag

Default Cold water

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post
    That looks terrible. My first guess is cold water too, but if that is not what is causing this, then remove all of the infected plants to a isolated location away from your healthy plants. Contact Critter Creek Labs and get a virus test done to determine if your phals need to be destroyed or if there is in fact some other cause beyond virus. Sorry for your trouble. I hope it is not virus.

Cheers,
    BD
    Yea it even looks worse in person,lol. Cold water was my first guess too, but I am using well water and in this location have for the past 3 years. At this point I am not ruling anything out. If this is a virus, like someone advised me it appears, according to them it would be a new virus that is not tested for in the U.S. The theory is that inspections on orchids coming from Taiwan where lifted and they are sending orchids over that questionable, thinking there going to end up in box stores anyway. I do know that I bloomed a cattleya (well its in bloom right now) that is virused,it came from a box store, and it is a first time bloomer! Yet this disease here seems to be moving too quickly to be virus, Thanks for your opinion- Tony
    Last edited by eanthony; May 25th, 2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: left out part of a sentence

Real Name
    Tony
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Member's Country Flag

Default fungal...

Quote Originally Posted by smwboxer View Post
    Does not really look like a virus to me. Virus' usually start to show their affects over time. If this happened suddenly, I'd be more inclined to guess bacterial, fungal or maybe even pest.
    I am staring to think it is more related to fungus, or maybe micro-fungus? Are there any treatments for fungus problems or is it like trying to kill mushrooms? pest I have almost rule out pest, there are no signs of mealybugs or scale, could thrips do this kind of damage? guess I could go check after dark with a "black light". I thought about mites but the damage starts on top, and not under leaves...but like I said I am not ruling anything out, thank you for your reply-Tony

Real Name
    Laurent Lambert
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Laelia & Encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

Here are the links to 2 accounts from growers who seem to be experiencing the same thing on their phals.
    fungus attack - stage one on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    problems
    Last edited by Lambert; May 25th, 2009 at 08:06 PM.