Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The school greenhouse

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default The school greenhouse

So these are some pictures of the orchid area at school that I took over the winter. I am on the committee that oversees this greenhouse, and I am thinking of trying to improve the orchid culture here. My honest impression is that the conditions are fairly amenable so there are a number of plants hanging in despite not nearly enough attention. It seems like there are some very well established plants here, but I need to look into what kind of diversity is represented. My goals would be to do a better job of representing orchids in their natural habitats (as you can see there are a number of specimen size tropical plants etc. to work with). I would also be interested in improving the health and appearance of the plants, but am not obsessed with having them be "pretty". BTW I am also starting a bunch of seeds in my lab soon and have some flasks on the way, but I am hesitant to add really nice plants to the collection in its current state.

As a start, what are your impressions and any initial suggestions? Should I just butt out since I don't have that much hands on experience? See anything that looks really special?
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by mycologist; August 16th, 2007 at 10:04 PM.

Name:  PICT0247.JPG
Views: 238
Size:  114.5 KB

Name:  PICT0282.JPG
Views: 236
Size:  205.7 KB

Name:  PICT0367.JPG
Views: 242
Size:  136.1 KB

Name:  PICT0260.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  217.1 KB

Name:  PICT0394.JPG
Views: 238
Size:  83.7 KB

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

The photos make it look lovely!

Cheers,
    BD

Yeah, I guess the pictures do make it look pretty nice. I should go back and have a closer look but my impression at the time was that there were a few really healthy plants but most things were really soggy and had a lot of yellow leaves. I think everything just gets blasted with those sprayers. I guess for the sake of the older plants that have become well accustomed to the conditions I probably shouldn't suggest changing things too much. Maybe I'll just find some other spots to play around with like like on that tree fern.

I would check to see when some of the orchids had last been repotted. The medium tends to break down in a warm, wet environment and potting should be done on a biennial basis. Which school are you at?

I guess I just can't help thinking that we could do a lot more with the space there.

Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Just novicespeak here, but I think you are right to want to look closer. I too saw some yellowed leaves in your pics and some leggy plants, although the general appearance and light looks wonderful. And some are real beauties! Your word 'soggy' is definately a red flag for some of your charges. Ron's repot suggestion sounds, well, sound! Lots of work there, but lot's of learning too. I think your goal of getting the orchids in a more natural habitat is a great approach! How better to teach others about orchids and other tropicals than to show them at 'home'? What an exciting committee you are on. I hope they have the enthusiasm and interest that you have. Good luck!

Tami

Real Name
    Jerry
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Minis
    Member's Country Flag

I agree with the other members that some repotting is probably in order. I would also re-arrange the plants to give the some look of order because it looks like there is none to the way they are currently hanging.

wow. ! What an excellant employment !!