Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a good first time paph?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vandas, Catts, Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Question What is a good first time paph?

Hello

I am considering extending my little orchid obsession, with a foray into the world of paphs. I have been converted by the recent pictures of St Swithin and Paph Spotglen Doodlebug x Duncan York Southard. However, before I take the plunge, I was wondering if anyone out there can recommend some ancestries (or however you call it) that I should look out for. I'm taking hubby (who has yet to be converted but is showing interest in a cymbidium) to an orchid show this weekend, and I thought it might be a good place to look.

So i had a look on the info forum, and it seems like they can be quite varied in their needs. I have direct sun in my bedroom and dining room windows which face South East and have nothing to stand in it's way so you get it until about midday (By 2pm today the sun had swung round enough that it was no longer shining directly on my poor fuchsia who are the current residents of those window sills!). So we get hours and hours of it. My kitchen window faces South west-ish and in the summer gets a lot of afternoon sun, and is generally bright in the morning as there is also a glass door. My living room has a glass doors all the way across facing slightly north west, but enough west that you can sit on the patio outside and get all the sun you can handle in the evening. It does get a tad too hot in the room itself in summer for me!

Anyway, bearing in mind my conditions, are there any big no-no's for me to avoid? Any suggestions of where I should start? Any help would be appreciated, as I don't want to go and splurge on my first paph only to find that it won't like my flat.

Thanks a lot

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal Vanda Aer Angrm Catts

Paphs are actually pretty easy to grow indoors. They need about the same amount of light as phals (which is not much compared to cymbidiums, cattleyas etc). I say, go with paphs that you like. THere is actually a fairly wide variety. I have had good success with the complex (also called bulldog) paphs like the Spotglen Doodlebug x Duncan York I posted recently. I have also had good success with the maudie type.

I am far from a paph expert, so I'll let the others chime in. If you are going to an orchid show this weekend there will probably be lots of orchid folks around and vendors who will be more than happy to recommend some that will do nicely in your conditions.

Kerry,

It will be easier to pick out something you see that you like, than to go hunting for a specific one. Some are more finicky, but Paphs are generally pretty easy. Go to the orchid show and see what they have. Some plants will definitely call out to you. Just ask the vendor if the plant you want has any special requirements. For Paphs you want even moisture. They don't like to dry out. And medium light. I wouldn't leave it in sun all day long, but either morning or afternoon sun should be fine.

Be sure to tell us how your spree goes!

McJulie

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks to you both, unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your viewpoint) I can't go to the preview like Elena on Friday night. But I will have Mr Kerry there to try to keep me conservative on Saturday. More than anything, his disapproving presence will make sure I take more time getting to know which ones, out of those I like, are suitable for my home conditions.

The bad thing about joining this forum is that I have started to dream about greenhouses! But I will definintely be taking the camera along, as well as my purse!

Some of the multiflorals like Saint Swithin take higher light than say a maudiae or a complex does. I think maudiae types are the easier ones for a beginner. They usually are less expensive as well as being more compact plants. If you want to go with a species something like Paph liemianum is an easy grower and a sequential bloomer, giving about 6 months of blooms off the same spike. Other sequential bloomers are Paph moquettianum, Paph glaucophylum, Paph primulinum, and Paph victoria-regina. Here is a pic of liemianum

My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Kerry, I promise not to buy all the Paphs on Friday I'm also taking my beast of a camera in the hope of taking lots of pictures.

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Get a paph maudiae type hybrid. They are weeds and bloom easily and are more readily available

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

Ron ! You are bad ! the Paph. picture is beautiful .. gotta get one
    Have a good time at the show Kerry , send Mr. Kerry out for burgers then buy buy buy Mine does not say a thing about what I get , but I ditch him anyway , need all my concentration .. Gin

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

I agree that maudiae are the easiest, and usually the cheapest, so you can experiment with conditions. I find complex paphs easy to grow, while the plants that have rothchildianum or philippinense are very slow growers.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I find complex paphs easy to grow, while the plants that have rothchildianum or philippinense are very slow growers.
    Thanks to you all for the advice, will definitely take it on board, as something that is fairly easy to grow will probably be best. Although, I'm sure that harder to grow orchids may be more rewarding in the end.

Although, I have to admit I am not sure what you mean Diane by complex paphs, is this to do with the way they are crossed? By the way, are you better now after your aborted business trip?